PDA

View Full Version : 300 Win Mag

Pages : 1 [2]

Blitzfike
07-21-2013, 08:30 PM
I have a tapered case 375H&H Magnum, if the tapered case tames the recoil, I'd hate to shoot one in Ackley improved.. I built a 300 win mag long range gun from a Stevens 200. I put a heavier stainless barrel and a JP Tank style brake on it. The felt recoil with the original stock is similar to shooting a 243 with this brake on it. No one will occupy the position next to me at the range after the first time though due to the drastically enhanced noise at the firing position. I'm still working up loads for it, but even with the factory stock it is doing very well for me. I gave my previous 300 win mag to my son due to the recoil issues. It was a Remington, being able to customize the savage family of rifles much more easily keeps me building them. Good luck with the long range project.

thermaler
07-21-2013, 09:12 PM
These last two posts are more what I had in mind--much appreciated! I'mprobably alraedy "overdosing" on the huge array of rifles I already have, but for some reason I REALLY like anything based on 30 caliber. ; )

SlimySquirrel
07-22-2013, 01:34 AM
As far as accuracy goes here is a video of a mates custom 300 win mag doing its thing on a culling session.

It was custom built for the job and is wearing a Schultz and Larsen suppressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vey05ltuZpE

Some nice accurate long range shots.

thermaler
07-22-2013, 08:59 AM
That is way cool, that suppressor makes it sound like a 22LR--though I think I'll settle for a good brake. Does anyone have any idea how much of an advantage a 26" and/or heavy barrel brings to the table over a conventional 24" light barrel? I could probably get my foot in the door cheaply with something like the 111 xp or savage weather hunter with SS barrel but they're 24" I believe, though I don't think they're threaded for a muzzle device.

thermaler
07-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Well after much angst and exploring the internet halls of wisdom (possibly a contradiction in terms) I am pleased to announce that I have a Thompson Center Dimension 300 win mag on the way. Please don't throw me off the forum thomae for posting a temporary defection from the Savage brotherhood--I'm still active with several savage rifles and reloading for them! : ) At the very least, I'll let you guys know if I end up in the ER after letting some rounds go. : )

thomae
07-23-2013, 11:16 AM
It's all good. I own a number of firearms that are not Savage brands. Whatever is right for you is the rifle you should have.

thermaler
07-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Well, for 3 short hours I had that "new gun a-coming buzz" but as it turns out it's not be. I just found out that there is a massive recall by Thompson Center for many of their rifle lines manufactured prior to June of this year for malfunctioning safety(s). I ordered the rifle through Cheaper-than-dirt who tell me they have no way of verifying the serial/date of manufacture prior to order fulfillment by their distributor. This seems odd to me--but that's the way it is and I cancelled the order--even if Thompson takes care of the problem I'd just as soon not buy a problem child from the get-go.