PDA

View Full Version : Chamber Problems 110E .270 win

nissannutzsx
02-07-2010, 02:29 AM
I have been reloading bullets for my 110E .270win for many years without any trouble. I use rem. cases, federal LR primers, nosler ball. tip 150 gr. and 50 gr. imr 4350, and size them to specs from the nosler book. The last time I used the gun I was having trouble with the fired cases being very hard to eject, and the primer was flat. My local gunsmith told me it looked like too much pressure and said to drop 2 grains of powder. I tried that, and it seemed to help, but when I ejected a live round, the tip pulled out of the case. I then tried a factory remington core lock pointed shell, and it pulled that tip out of the case, too. What could be the problem, and how can I fix this? This is one of my most accurate rifles, and my favorite to hunt with. Also, my remington 7600 .270 shoots these same reloads with no problems. Here is this years piebald 6-point I shot.http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/nissannutzsx/FISHING%20HUNTING%20PICTURES/IMG_0098-1-1.jpg

Uncle Jack
02-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Sounds to me as if you have some krud in the neck or throat of the chamber.

uj

louthedog
02-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Are you loading to the same length as before? Or using a different bullet? Did the bullets that pulled out have land marks on them? Sounds like high pressure from being jammed into the lands...or crud.

nissannutzsx
02-07-2010, 09:58 AM
The 150gr. ballistic tips i use don't have a crimping groove, but the factory load remington core lock 150gr. pointed soft points did. If the chamber is corroded inside, what tools do I need to clean the chamber? The cases I used were new unfired remington cases that I full length sized and trimmed to spec with a rcbs rotary trimmer. I always clean the barrel with a bore brush, and run patches through until they come out clean, then oil it, but I don't think the brush is big enough for the chamber. I thought it was too much pressure also, but it shouldn't pull the bullet out of a factory live Rem. load. Thats what makes me think it's something wrong in the chamber. Thanks everyone for the help.

LHitchcox
02-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I use a .50 caliber bore mop with Kroil on it chucked into a hand drill. I think most folks use a barrel brush coated with steel wool. Lightly polish the chamber by moving the bore mop slightly in and out so as not to develop a wear pattern. Simpler to do than talk about.

BillPa
02-07-2010, 11:56 AM
From your description what is happening with both reloaded and factory ammo (pulling the bullets) I'm guessing you have a carbon buildup in the gap space, and /or freebore in the chamber. A chamber cast would easily show if that is the case or not. Carbon in hard stuff, most bore cleaners won't even touch it, so normal cleaning won't remove or control it.

There are two ways to remove it, mechanically or chemically. Mechanically Isso bore cleaner on a snugt fitting patch rotated in those areas will clean it out. Chemically, products like GM "TEC" and Seafoam will dissolve it. Both of those product are designed to remove carbon in cylinder head,valves and etc in engines. Wet a loose fitting patch, swap it into the neck, throat of the chamber and about the first 2" of the bore then allow it to work for about 15-20 minutes. Repeat until the patches come out clean.

Bill

nissannutzsx
02-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'll try what you mentioned and see what happens.

nissannutzsx
02-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Just got my Kroils from brownells, I'm going to try that and see what happens. I ran some Hoppes Elite carbon lead copper remover earlier in the week. I got quite a bit of crud out already. Thanks for the advice everyone.

BobT
02-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I always clean the barrel with a bore brush, and run patches through until they come out clean, then oil it, but I don't think the brush is big enough for the chamber.

Make sure you wipe the oil out of the barrel before you shoot it. I doubt that it is causing the problem you describe but it could contribute to a carbon build up and can cause other problems.

Bob