PDA

View Full Version : 223 - wsm

Lightflight
07-19-2013, 08:12 PM
I have a stevens 200 originally a 223 and its been swapped to 22-250/308 but now I'm going to get a 270wsm barrel and go that route.

The only issue I am running into is the extractor/bolthead.

My 223 is Pushfeed (has plunger in bolthead) but I can only find WSM boltheads that are Control feed(has slot for pin that is attached to trigger). Cant seem to find Extractor/ejector to put the pin on the trigger housing or even info if its possible to go the Control feed route.

Please Help. Thank you.

Lightflight
07-19-2013, 10:47 PM
So it looks like I can Make my own push feed from a long action magnum bolt head or call SSS for one. Or Maybe PTG makes one.

I will assume this to be correct.

J.Baker
07-19-2013, 11:17 PM
All current production WSM's are push feed and have been for a few years now. SSS or Jim Briggs should be able to get you exactly what you need.

stangfish
07-19-2013, 11:21 PM
That is correct. IIRC the original push feed short action magnum bolthead was thicker/longer than the other boltheads for a short action which may have required some different parts but not certain. MR F or someone else, Can he use the same firing pin assembly?

You will need to profile the nose of the LA head, its not a hacksaw job if you try that other route.

J.Baker
07-19-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm not certain, that's why I referred him to Fred (best bet) or Jim Briggs for more definitive answers. IIRC there is a difference in the firing pin assembly but Fred would know for certain. That man's like a walking/talking encyclopedia when it comes to parts changes and such, and how he remembers it right off the top of his head without needing to look at his notebooks is humbling to say the least.

Lightflight
07-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the help. I sent sss and email. Im not sure who Jim is tho. I know i will have to check for firing pin protrusion but not sure of any other differences in Firing pin.