PDA

View Full Version : couple crazy ?'s

sims5
02-05-2010, 09:34 PM
I've been reading posts after posts and I keep reading some things that I don't understand. Can you tell me what the following terms mean?

Center Feed
Stagger Feed
Blind Magazine

I have a 12fv 22-250, what "feed is it"? I load the rounds thru the top opening. Do they make magazines that you can load outside the gun and insert from the bottom for the 22-250, like a 22mag? I realize the stock would have to have an opening cut into the stock.

Will the rubber butt pad from a 12fv synthetic stock fit a synthetic stock for a 93? If so where could I get a pad?

LG
02-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Blind magazine is when the magazine is hidden inside the stock, and your only option is to load the rounds from the top (like your gun). Yes Savage makes guns with detachable magazines that you can load outside the gun and then insert the magazine from the bottom. These are frequently referred to as DBM (detachable box magazine).

In the Savage centerfire rifles, the rounds are always staggered inside the magazine (as opposed to a single stack). In recent production Savage centerfire rifles, even though the rounds are still staggered inside the magazine, the lips of the magazine are narrower so that they hold the top round directly in line with the chamber. This design is what we call "centerfeed". In older rifles the magazine design was a little different, and the top round in the magazine would sit a little bit offset (not in perfect alignment with the chamber). This older design is what we refer to as "staggered feed". Your rifle could be either one. In centerfeed guns the magazine attaches to the stock whereas in staggered feed rifles the magazine attaches to the receiver. So when you remove the barreled action from the stock, if the magazine stays in the stock it's a centerfeed.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your butt pad question.

Three44s
02-05-2010, 09:59 PM
My understanding is that a stagger feed refers to a normal floorplate/cartridge relationship in that the cartridges are offset and feed upto the bolt ........ left/right/left/right and so forth.

A cross section view of either the front or the rear of the stack of rounds would show a staggered pattern.

With center feed you have the round centered as it approaches the bolt. I don't own one of these rifles so I can't tell you if they are all stacked vertically or if they are staggered below the bolt and just as they reach the bolt ... they center up. Someone else could answer that ..... I can't yet.

A blind magazine ...... is where there is no floor plate nor a hole for one .... hence the stock is blind if you look down into it from the top. Cartridges must be fed in from the top ...... and must be removed out the top by either firing or cycling the bolt and removing them out the ejection port.

BTW, there are no crazy questions.

A big belated welcome to the forum!

Three 44s

sims5
02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
thanks guys. My magazine stays with the stock when I remove the action so that would make it a centerfeed then.