PDA

View Full Version : Polygonal rifle barrels

lomfs24
02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
So a couple months ago I bought a new Savage 10FCPXP in .308. I have had it a couple months so now it's time to get something new. (That's the way I roll) Probably just a barrel swap will curb the itch for a while. I want to go to some sort of 6.5mm bullet. I came across Pac-Nor barrels. They seem to be a little more expensive but they offer a polygonal twist.

Does anyone else have a polygonal twist? Are they all that and a bag of chips? Or are they a passing fad that will blow over.

I am envisioning longer barrel life, faster cleaning, etc... A lot like a glock barrel where it has been said that they can't be "shot out".

Any truth to all this anecdotal rhetoric? Or is it all a sales pitch?

82boy
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Polygonal rifled barrels are nothing new, each company calls them something different. I have a Shilen ratchet twist barrel which is on the same principle. Broughton 5C barrels are again similar. The technology has been around from many, many years. Yes they work many titles have been won by them. I just comes down to personal preference, some like them some don't.

I can not prove any of the theories of them. They don't seem to clean any easier than a standard quality barrel. I can say they last any longer. I cant prove that they buck the wind better. The theory is that do to them placing a smaller and different mark on the bullet the bullet is less susceptible to wind. All I can say is the wind seams to push the bullet the same. They are very popular with the rim fire crowd's.

I dont think you will see them die out, but I dont think you will see them set the world on fire, and replace everything else either.