PDA

View Full Version : Mount Placement To Scope Tube

hydrashocker
07-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Hoping someone can help me with this one,

I'm mounting up my new Nikon Monarch 4-16 X 50 SF Niko and 3" sunshade with tip up covers. I have a Weaver 1 piece tactical extended base with 0 MOA and Burris Xtreme rings on my 110 7mm Rem Mag L/A. I've completely bedded everything so far. Now with this big scope brings a lot of weight naturally. So even though I have a muzzle break I want to keep the ring to scope as solid as possible. Now I've never really set up a gun with this big of a scope before, and so placing hasn't always been an issue, I just tried to keep the rings close to the middle as possible once I lined up the scope to the shooter.

So my question;

After I set place the scope to me the shooter, and know very close where she'll be mounted, where should I try to place my rings relative to the scope tubing? I've seen guys place the rear ring as far back as possible and the front every close to the turret. I've seen guys place them as far as they can get them apart. I've even placed them as close to the middle as adjustment allows......blah blah blah, but what is correct placing with this sized scope and therefore the "right" placing I should strive for? I would assume it would be spread out as far as possible but maybe 3/6" from any bell or turret????

Thanks as always!

stangfish
07-18-2013, 04:35 PM
I dont think there is a wrong way once you have gotten to the place where you are. I shoot for an open access to the ejection port and as far apart as I can getgiving as much support as possible to the eyepiece and the objective in case of an impact.

Texas Solo
07-18-2013, 07:16 PM
I dont think there is a wrong way once you have gotten to the place where you are. I shoot for an open access to the ejection port and as far apart as I can get giving as much support as possible to the eyepiece and the objective in case of an impact.

Ditto here. I place the rings as far apart as I can, but not too close to either end.

hydrashocker
07-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Ok thanks,

I went ahead and placed them, but I have some trimming to do on the base now so completion will be delayed.

bythebook
07-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Hydrashocker just be sure your rings tighten up on that base. I just took one off one of my target rifles, with 2 different pairs of rings I could not get the mounting screw to tighten. I even used a screwdriver bit in a 1/4 inch wratchet and they didn't seem to fit the base. They would feel tight and them if you wiggle them they were loose.