PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 based rifle in 357 / 44 magnum ? Bolt face in particular ??

Westcliffe01
07-16-2013, 08:35 PM
So fellas, there is this remote possibility that it may become legal to use straight walled cartridges in rifle format in the southern part of Michigan. The only company I am aware of that makes a 357 or 44 magnum bolt action rifle is Ruger in the model 77. I am not a lever action man, nor will I ever buy another TC product after getting hosed on my Icon.

Is is possible that someone like a PTG might make a bolt head for either of those cartridges ? Right now I'm not too worried about a magazine, I figure a single shot adapter will beat my muzzleloader any day of the week... And the cost of ammo would be CONSIDERABLY reduced compared to 20ga slug ammo for rifled barrels.

If anyone has done something like this, I would like to hear from you.

WC

J.Baker
07-16-2013, 09:28 PM
It's been done before, but it's really not practical from a cost standpoint given you can buy a brand new H&R Handi-Rifle in either caliber mentioned for under $300. Another (and nicer) option would be to find one of the older Savage Model 24V's in .357 Mag/20ga, but that would be more money yet ($600-700 typically as they weren't nearly as popular as the 22's).

Westcliffe01
07-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Good lord, an H&R surely can't be compared to a short action Savage with a nice hand lapped barrel on it with a "proper" lead ???? If this was about the cheapest way to get from A to B, I would not be posting a thread about building a custom rifle... If I wanted a factory rifle, the Ruger is already there. I was thinking that if one started with a 223 much would already be set up for the length of the cartridge. Then its just a suitable bolt head and single shot adapter

earl39
07-16-2013, 10:53 PM
I believe the bolthead for the 7.62x39 will work with the 38/357 cartridge

Westcliffe01
07-16-2013, 11:05 PM
I forgot to mention that I used to own a Savage 24. It was the first firearm I bought here in the US after I got my green card. But it was a 222 rem + 20ga and the rifle barrel was pencil thin so not the best platform. It had no optics mount so I had one custom made, but there was almost no material in the receiver to screw it into.

Nope, I want a nice carbine style bolt action. The big bore will help keep the barrel weight down.

Apache
07-16-2013, 11:16 PM
450 Bushmaster is a straight walled case.....300yrd range capable....don't know if it's legal there though. Can it be a wildcat of some kind?

If so, there are many wildcat options.

nockhunter
07-17-2013, 02:35 AM
45acp, or 45win mag would work very well. Same bolt head as .308/30-06. 45 win mag would be a bit more powerful.

Mike

J.Baker
07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Good lord, an H&R surely can't be compared to a short action Savage with a nice hand lapped barrel on it with a "proper" lead ???? If this was about the cheapest way to get from A to B, I would not be posting a thread about building a custom rifle... If I wanted a factory rifle, the Ruger is already there. I was thinking that if one started with a 223 much would already be set up for the length of the cartridge. Then its just a suitable bolt head and single shot adapter

No need to get your panties in a wad, was just a couple alternatives ideas I threw out there for ya since you specifically said you didn't want a lever gun. As I said, the 110 action conversion has been done before so it is possible for a single-shot only rig. No different than any other conversion - just requires the proper barrel, bolt head and single-shot follower.

lonestardiver
07-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Remington chambered the 788 in .44 mag.

Westcliffe01
07-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Hmmm 45 Win mag looks interesting since that round should feed better out a magazine than a rimmed 44 mag.

Does not look like brass is available at all presently. Checked and Starline is waiting to get a sufficiently large run together to make a batch.

It appears to meet the limitation imposed by the proposed law being debated but not yet passed:
"(D) A .35 CALIBER OR LARGER RIFLE LOADED WITH STRAIGHT-WALLED CARTRIDGES WITH A MINIMUM CASE LENGTH OF 1.16 INCHES AND A MAXIMUM CASE LENGTH OF 1.80 INCHES. "
The 45 Win Mag case length is 1.198"

Doing some research on the options I discovered a cartridge I didn't even know existed, the 44 Auto mag. It is made from 308 brass, cut to 1.293" and the case mouth reamed to accept 44 mag bullets. This seems intriguing, since then clearly a 308 bolt head would work perfect and one can make your own brass from 308 brass that had split necks or other issues that prevented it from continuing to be used. If things ever return to normal, then brass is available from starline for a modest price compared to $3/cartridge for the 20 ga slug loads.

So, I need a short action rifle, possibly a 308 and then might have to fit a 223 sized front baffle to reduce the bolt stroke proportionally. Might also have to see if a 223 magazine would work, it should be about the right length. Got my shopping list....