PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun To Blue or Not to Blue

Falconer
07-15-2013, 03:30 PM
I recently found a Savage model 330 over/under 12 gauge. I love it but the barrels need reblueing. Does anyone out there know if I can hot blue them? I called Savage and, for liability reasons, they will NOT answer the question on any firearm dated pre-1995?

lonestarjeff
08-28-2013, 11:36 PM
What would be a reason you couldn't hot blue them? I have to admit I'm not that familiar with the process.

Falconer
08-28-2013, 11:55 PM
What would be a reason you couldn't hot blue them? I have to admit I'm not that familiar with the process.

The hot bluing process is caustic to the soft solder that holds the barrels together. In other words, the hot bluing would dissolve the solder used to hold the barrels together. If, on the other hand, the barrels were brazed...a process more common on newer double barrels...the hot bluing won't adversely affect them.

I couldn't find an answer anywhere on the net or from Savage so I didn't want to take the chance. I cold blued the barrels and they look fine. The cold bluing process just isn't as durable or permanent...

lonestarjeff
08-29-2013, 10:53 AM
The hot bluing process is caustic to the soft solder that holds the barrels together. In other words, the hot bluing would dissolve the solder used to hold the barrels together........

That's interesting. So, on the older(soldered)doubles they blued all the barrel parts 1st, then soldered them together? I would have thought the soldering, or flux(if it's used)would have damaged the finish.

I have an old double that someone brazed the last 3" on the underside. The process left the top rib loose down at the end. I would have loved to get the old gun back into shooting condition, but it's too risky w/ those barrels.