PDA

View Full Version : crimp removal question

Texas Solo
07-14-2013, 08:12 PM
I have an opportunity to get a large quantity of LC .223 brass. It is crimped, and I've never had to deal with this before as I always purchased new brass. So I'm confused about something:

What's the difference between primer pocket reaming & swagging?
Does either method remove the crimp?
Do I need to do both?
And I'm not sure of just what the crimp looks like. I see what looks like a ring around the outside of the primer pocket that is not present on any of my purchased new brass. Is this ring a separate piece, and how does it get there?

A buddy of mine uses a reamer....a small cutting tool on a handle. I tried doing a few cases, but this is ridiculous! My hands hurt just watching this procedure. There has got to be a better way....right?

If someone could post some pics of a crimp, before and after, I'd really appreciate it.

pdog2062
07-14-2013, 08:34 PM
reaming removes metal to get rid of the crimp,swaging displaces metal to do the same thing.I use the RCBS swaging kit to do mine.let the power of the press to do the hard work.

eddiesindian
07-14-2013, 10:26 PM
yep ..what pdog said.
the ring on the outter portion of the primer pocket is infact the crimp, (stamp)...its not a seperate piece.
I borrow a shooting buddies swagging tool to do the majority crimp,d brass. seeing as how I live on the mex/amer border. theres off duty patrol dudes who leave lots of brass behind out where we shoot at and they leave all there spent cases which are all crimp.d. If Im de-crimping 50 or so cases, I use my deburring tool...sure it takes longer but it keeps me out of trouble loloo

stangfish
07-15-2013, 12:18 AM
swagging is optimal a chamfer tool works in a pinch.

Dr Honda
07-15-2013, 08:20 AM
I bought 1000 empties and they were all crimped. It's not a big deal to clean them up. I used my de-burring tool to cut the ring off. A couple turns... and it was clearanced enough to take a new primmer.

Apache
07-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Dillon Super Swage 600