PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Dilemma on my newest 99

Indianaoutdoorsman
07-14-2013, 10:47 AM
For years I've been looking for a 99. Really wanted a .250-3000 for a pronghorn hunt this fall but didn't have much luck at a decent price. In the meantime, I found a really, really nice one in .300 Savage that I bought.

So now comes along a gorgeous one in .250-3000. Take down model made in 1917. Lock up is tight as a vault, blue and wood are nearly perfect. Bore shines like a mirror. I saw it and put it on lay away and will have it out next week.

Since this is kinda new ground for me, I didn't even think about mounting a scope. My eyes are no longer good enough to use the factory Lyman peep for antelope. It's not drilled and tapped, and I've been told that doing so would cut the value considerably. Thing is, I bought it to use, not sit at home in the safe.

Any options??

Mad Dog
07-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Get a set of Stith mounts and you won't have to drill and tap it, they use the rear dovetail and the tang sight holes.

Indianaoutdoorsman
07-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Yeah. Just found out via Mr Google when you had replied. What I don't know is how many variations there are of those mounts. I did read that you have to get the proper ones. Not sure how to verify that before you buy.

appreciate the response and any other input