PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: New Mark II BTVLSS

Cjd3
07-14-2013, 04:04 AM
Just took delivery of my new sharp shooter. Pretty excited to go to the range tomorrow. First impressions, its a pretty solid looking rifle. After I degreaser it, and lubed the bolt, the action sure did smooth out a lot. My only concern, is the barrel is slightly off center of the stock. Should I care?

JCalhoun
07-15-2013, 09:58 PM
See how well it shoots first. It may not affect anything.

justinp61
07-17-2013, 01:38 PM
I have the same rifle and a dollar bill has a slight drag near the end of the stock. I didn't when I bought the rifle two years ago. These are great rifles mine likes CCI SV best, the only Eley it liked was the yellow box Tennex maybe. At $25 for 50 I'll stick with the CCI SV. If you haven't already you need to replace bottom metal. I made mine out of 1/8" SS, bit there are several companies that sell them.

Mine started to shoot really well after 400 or so rounds, most guys say the same thing about Savage rifles, 400-800 rounds they really start shooting. Another thing is action screw torque, once you replace the bottom metal and have some rounds through it you can play with the torque on the action screws.

Good luck.

Silvercrow1
07-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Congrats on a great rifle! I have a MK II with factory thumbhole stock, sporter type barrel, high luster blueing. Mine also likes CCI best and also some old Western T-22 I found a brick of 500, circa 1978. Shoots under .5" at 50 yards and JUST under an inch at 100- although I had to fool with the scope settings to get it in at 100.

I LOVE this rifle. This spring my shooting compadre and I went to a gamelands here in Pa. to shoot starlings- they are prolific here this year for some reason. Off my tall Harris Bi-Pod I was head and neck shooting these pesky birdies out to 60-65 yards.

Expect great things! You got any pics? Brian

J.Baker
07-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Slightly loosen the action screws, stand the rifle on the butt, center the barrel in the barrel channel and hold it there while you retighten the action screws.

Cjd3
07-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Here it is from today day at the range.
I mounted my old Leupold VX-1 on some old rings, and just put on a Champion Bi-pod.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/cjdiii/btvlss_zps08fb3575.jpg

Here are today's results:
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/cjdiii/target_zps97706f11.jpg

Started in the center with CCI Mini Mags. Some windage adjustments.
Moved up and left to shoot some American Eagle 38 GR copper coated HPs. Some windage adjustments.
Moved over to the top right to continue shooting the same rounds, no adjustments.
Moved down to the bottom right to shoot some American Eagle 40gr round nose.
Then moved over to the bottom right to shoot some Remington Thunderbolt 40gr round nose.

All shot at 50 yards, with some variable wind, but nothing too bad.

JCalhoun
07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Not bad at all.

Silvercrow1
07-29-2013, 10:39 PM
SWEEET! I have a thumbhole stock on mine also-but not laminate. VERY nice. Also- that Rem. Thunderbolt seems to really work well..Brian

paperkite
08-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Did anyone see and or shoot the 25yd target that comes with the instruction manual for the BTV series ? I put a Banner 6-18 x 50 on my BTVSS w/laminate thumbhole stock and shot a 47 and 48 ( I only put 5 rounds down range for each target ) using CCI sub sonic , 4 rnds at .3 inche grp, the 5th rnd was a flier at .7 inche gp total for the 48 . The range master signed off on my target so if anyone wants a look I can email before sending to Savage on monday . Not bad for a 64 yr old who has not shot since 1987 ... really though , its the water , not the rifle !!! I would not trade mine except for an Anschutz or even a Racer .. well maybe the Racer ... drool drool drool !!! ok l'll, lghten up !

Silvercrow1
08-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Did anyone see and or shoot the 25yd target that comes with the instruction manual for the BTV series ? I put a Banner 6-18 x 50 on my BTVSS w/laminate thumbhole stock and shot a 47 and 48 ( I only put 5 rounds down range for each target ) using CCI sub sonic , 4 rnds at .3 inche grp, the 5th rnd was a flier at .7 inche gp total for the 48 . The range master signed off on my target so if anyone wants a look I can email before sending to Savage on monday . Not bad for a 64 yr old who has not shot since 1987 ... really though , its the water , not the rifle !!! I would not trade mine except for an Anschutz or even a Racer .. well maybe the Racer ... drool drool drool !!! ok l'll, lghten up !

I got mine used, but the manual had the Savage targets. Intending to go out tomorrow to shoot my .223, I'll take my MK II along. I have the sporter barrel..

So, blued MK II, sporter barrel, walnut thumbhole stock, .22LR, (stock had black foreend "cap" if that matters). What model is mine?

Cjd3- I really love the looks of your rifle! I love stainless, but the bluing on mine is pretty rich so I can't complain. Whats the longest that you've shot (distance) with it so far? I'm trying various ammo. at 100 yards. So far the Western T-22 (circa late 70s) the CCI MM (for HV), and the Rem. Golden (go figure) are doing best at 100 yards. Now I need to hone "me"...Brian PS- I don't have any "match grade" .22lr as I'm getting into this later in life and during the great ammo. shortage.

paperkite
08-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Silvercrow1,
I got some Eley here : http://www.munireusa.com/22-long-rifle/ , I just checked and the Eley is gone , but they do have some other 22 LR ammo .. I have been shooting HV and SS CCI and like the sub sonic better for prescision shooting etc. Being sub sonic , it is not subject to droping out of super sonic and thus not being subject to friction , it stays on course. I have been trying various sub sonic and my BTVS likes the CCI SS , Mini Mag , Velocitor is HV , Eley Target , and the Eley ESP ( but not at 26$ a box of 50 :frusty: ...) and PMC HV but the HV stuff shoots well but not like the Sub Sonic . I hope to shoot everyday this week and move up to the 100 and 150 yrd targets at the range here. I know buying ammo on line is spendy due to the freight costs , but a lot of the LGS have jacked up the prices of all popular ammos like 13.63 a box of 100 for CCI SS ... used to be 4.79 per 50 .... so I do not do business with them unless I have to . I try to order enuf to spread the frt around , still 10.50 a box for Eley Target , ( with shipping ) of 50 is a bit over the 13.99 pr 100 or 7.99 per 50 for Velocitor , but is just jacks my jaw to have to pay them that kind of money... and besides i enjoy opening stuff and It is a great day when the Fed Ex people bring it the house and I did not have to spend 3.99 in gas to go get em !!~!

Silvercrow1
08-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Silvercrow1,
I got some Eley here : http://www.munireusa.com/22-long-rifle/ , I just checked and the Eley is gone , but they do have some other 22 LR ammo .. ... and besides i enjoy opening stuff and It is a great day when the Fed Ex people bring it the house and I did not have to spend 3.99 in gas to go get em !!~!

Thanks Paperkite! They have some other stuff I need / want too! Don't wanna hi-jack this thread-probably start another as I need schooling on the plethora of ammo. out "there". Brian

Cjd3
08-27-2013, 03:35 AM
Cjd3- I really love the looks of your rifle! I love stainless, but the bluing on mine is pretty rich so I can't complain. Whats the longest that you've shot (distance) with it so far? I'm trying various ammo. at 100 yards. So far the Western T-22 (circa late 70s) the CCI MM (for HV), and the Rem. Golden (go figure) are doing best at 100 yards. Now I need to hone "me"...Brian PS- I don't have any "match grade" .22lr as I'm getting into this later in life and during the great ammo. shortage.

I went to the range yesterday, and after sighting in and recording my hunting loads for my 111 .30-06, I put the Mark II through 40 or so rounds (Range master was pissed I was shooting a .22 on the centerfire range when ther was a line for all the hunters. Rim fire range only goes to 50 yards). My best group of 10 was 3" with 2 flyers, 1.36" with them removed. I found a few boxes of Federal Match ammo earlier in he week. So I'm getting better, and so is the rifle.

Hoot
08-28-2013, 06:28 AM
Last month, I began an in-depth, fairly scientific study of what ammo my Type E MKII BTVS likes. It is an ongoing process with 30 different types now. Will be adding Wolf Match Extra to the results on Thursday. You can find the thread Here (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510646).

10-shot 50 yd groups in the high .3 and .4s can be achieved with this rifle. Not lucky 3-shot or 5-shot, but 10-shot groups. See the thread for more details.

Hoot

plinkin
08-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Here it is from today day at the range.
I mounted my old Leupold VX-1 on some old rings, and just put on a Champion Bi-pod.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/cjdiii/btvlss_zps08fb3575.jpg

Here are today's results:
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/cjdiii/target_zps97706f11.jpg

Started in the center with CCI Mini Mags. Some windage adjustments.
Moved up and left to shoot some American Eagle 38 GR copper coated HPs. Some windage adjustments.
Moved over to the top right to continue shooting the same rounds, no adjustments.
Moved down to the bottom right to shoot some American Eagle 40gr round nose.
Then moved over to the bottom right to shoot some Remington Thunderbolt 40gr round nose.

All shot at 50 yards, with some variable wind, but nothing too bad.

WOW looks like T bolts are the go to round. I used to shoot them when I was a yout and couldn't get Federal Lightning.

Hoot
08-28-2013, 01:14 PM
I'll file that Tbird group away for future reference. My rifle did not care for any high velocity ammo, regardless of brand, as defined by small groups. Standard velocity ammo spanks the Hi Vels. However, I haven't tested Tbirds yet and now I will put them on my to-do list. Thanks,

Hoot

Cjd3
08-31-2013, 02:48 AM
Never thought about the difference between high and low velocity rounds. More fun to be had in the future.

paperkite
08-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Never thought about the difference between high and low velocity rounds. More fun to be had in the future.

I would never have guessed that the drag ( friction ) from a bullet going High Velocity and slowing to Sub sonic would distort the bullets path... and that staying in sub sonic the bullet does not encounter that drag ( friction ) that throws it off course . If one could keep the .22 LR bullet in high velocity flight , then possibley the drag ( friction ) of slowing down would not effect it.. Now the task for bench shooters is to find which sub sonic bullet works best in / with :
1) which rifle
2) which round
3) which distance
4) which conditions
and which works best shooting nusiance or pest / varmits ...
I tell ya , the good Lord put so many things on this earth for us to discover , it is truly amazing when we see the results of His handi work in the natural setting . Why, a person could witnes for God and be a shooter and never run out of things to talk about or things to shoot ! :amen::amen::amen: