PDA

View Full Version : new guy here with his new savage

crappie josh
07-13-2013, 10:55 PM
so I'm new to the web sight and I also just bought my self my first savage I bought a new 11/111 trophy hunter xp for deer season this year and I took it out and shot it for the first time Friday and its a nice rifle and I like the Nikon scope that came on it but I was told to replace the 2 piece scope rail that came on the rifle a one piece scope rail so does any one have any suggestions for scope rails and is there anything else I can do with my rifle

thanks josh

paradactal
07-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Well. I dont have any advice on a scope rail, but, the first thing you should do i sget to know your rifle. Take it out and shoot it and then find out what you want to do with it. Deer season is coming up and the last thing you want to do is not know your rifle when you see a nice 4x4 at 150yds. That is a nice rifle, Ill be looking to buy that next. Enjoy

stangfish
07-14-2013, 02:39 AM
You really dont need a one piece rail. They afford you some advantages like scope positioning, but for a hunting rifle, as long as the mounts are secure they will do the job fine.

You can do much with your rifle. You can get a Ken Farrel base and some Nightforce rings and put a Swarovski scope on it. You can get the latest and greatest McMillan stock or XLR chasis. You can send you action to fred and have it timed and trued. You can have a custom chambered blank with barrel nut delete and a .250" precision ground SS recoil lug. You got aftermarket triggers and 10 rd magazines. Whatyawannado?

Cjd3
07-14-2013, 03:57 AM
I had a one piece base, and since my rifle didn't have a floor plate or box magazine, the one piece made it a bit of a paint to load and unload. I got a 2 piece QR, and love it. It really does retain zero when removed and out back on.

DQL5150
07-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Find the ammo that your rifle likes and practice.

243LPR
07-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Depending on the scope the picatinny type rails put the scope too high for a good cheek weld,even with lower rings.

crappie josh
07-14-2013, 11:57 AM
so the 110 is basically the wooden version of what I have 111 and so any thing I buy for a 110 will work on my 111?

Josh

Mach2
07-15-2013, 03:08 AM
110/111 same thing.
Neither the one piece rail nor the two piece are better than the other. They both do the job well. I only use the two piece mounts myself but I could manage just as well with a one piece. yes the picatinny one piece does interfere with loading but they make one piece mounts with cutout that doesn't interfere.
Your 111XP probably doesn't need anything but Leupold makes both style mounts in a light aluminum.
You've already made the right descision by choosing the XP model. That's a nice rig. What caliber did you choose? How much did you pay?

crappie josh
07-15-2013, 08:35 AM
I went with a .270 with a detachable box bag I ended up getting it at bass pro where my wife works and also got a claw sling and a set of see threw scope covers and a box of hornady American whitetail hunter shells and with my rewards points got out of there for $500.74 so I didn't do too bad

Josh

rattfink
07-15-2013, 10:45 AM
.270 is a nice versatile cartridge, and I also don't think you need to replace your scope mounts unless you find some shortcoming, like you need to change eye relief on the scope and you don't have enough room to adjust.

If you do decide to go with a one piece, Weaver and Talley both a make a nice rail at a reasonable price. I was set to buy an EGW but they were backordered and I saw the Talley so grabbed it.

But I'm guessing you'll take your deer just fine with that rifle as is. Good luck!