PDA

View Full Version : McGowen Barrels, quality?

Deserthunter
02-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I recently purchased a McGowan SS Match barrel in the 6.5x47L caliber. I'm very happy with the barrel. Cost was roughly the same, but, still I have a question..... McGowan barrels, at least in some forums that I've read are considered a step down from, say, a Shilen barrel. I realize this is a generality but why? The tolerances on the McGowan barrel seem to be at least as good as the Shilen, it's been hand lapped, etc, etc.... Is this something that is left from the past? Are the tolerances as good? From the first shot I was unable to get any copper fouling in the McGowan barrel. Groups have been wonderful, I was just wondering....What kind of luck have you had with them..... Anothher quick question, too, what does it run to have flutes cut in a barrel?

Titandriver
02-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Beats me; my experience has been a mirror image of yours but in 260 Rem. Beyond pleased with mine!

Rich

Blue Avenger
02-04-2010, 09:08 PM
they just have not paid enough "dues" yet. it will come if they earn it.

psharon97
02-05-2010, 02:34 AM
From what I've read, the Shilen, McGowen, Lothar Walther, SSS Douglas barrels, basically all the barrels in the $300 range, will all shoot extremely well.

I have the SSS Douglas barrel and love it. Will go back to them again when I build my 6.5x47L build.

sinman
02-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't put a Mcgowen in the same category as Lothar Walther, but they are pretty close to shilen, Douglass might be a little better also.