PDA

View Full Version : BAS replacement

Nandy
07-12-2013, 05:28 PM
I am doing the lift kit on this new to me 110 and was looking to replace the BAS. It seems it is a 1/2 x28 tpi screw but I cannot seem to find this screw anywhere. Has any of you had luck with a replacement? Im not looking to order one from savage. I am sure it will be expensive where in a harware store it will be lot cheaper. If not I will have to take my original BAS to a machine shop, I dont have a lathe and I dont think the drill/saw trick is going to work on this. The cut needs to be done with precision...
And while we are at it, I need the Baffle Friction Washer also, any advise on where to get it will be great.

Thanks!

stangfish
07-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Nandy That thread does not exist on any standard fastener. Cutting threads of any pitch or threads per inch is possible to do on almost any diameter. The 1/2-28 is simply not a standard thread pitch for a 1/2 inch diameter fastener. There is another work around to reduce the spring preload if your interested I can help you with that. Let me know

Nandy
07-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I see, so if I want to go the route of modifying only the BAS either I have to get a 1/2x28tpi die (seen many)to make my own or let the machine shop make me one or modify mine... Oh well, I will check with the machine shop next week. It might not be that expensive after all... I see where the cocking piece sleeve is shorten which I can do easily but I wanted to avoid that. There must be a reason why fred goes to the trouble of shortening the BAS in a lathe than the sleeve which I am sure is way easier to do...

Thanks Stang!

thomae
07-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Am I missing something here? Why not fashion a spacer (thick washer) from either steel or aluminum the same depth as the functional depth of the Bolt Lift Kit and use it to, in essence, functionally shorten the BAS? The spacer goes between the BAS and the bolt handle.

stangfish
07-12-2013, 10:12 PM
SSSSssssssHHHHhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Nandy
07-12-2013, 10:27 PM
I think you are missing something.... I actually bought the washers to do it that way today but when I took my bolt apart my BAS has like 1/4 inch nipple that goes into the cocking sleeve so it will actually be 1/4 inch plus the lift kit.

geargrinder
07-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Washer won't work on that style BAS. It needs to be cut, but it doesn't need to be that accurate. I did one of those on with a bench grinder and a pair of calipers. Measure the amount of protrusion of your bolt lift kit. Then measure the length of theads plus nipple of the BAS. Then shorten the BAS by the length of the nipple plus bolt lift kit protrusion. I was able to get mine easily within .005" of the needed length.

Just go slow and pay attention to what your are doing and what it affects.