PDA

View Full Version : Prairie dogs getting tougher

Hammer
07-12-2013, 07:21 AM

Was in Wyoming a couple of weeks ago.

Was using a left-hand single-shot 25/06 which the Savage custom shop had made for me a few years back.

With 90-grain bullets at under 50 yards was not getting the aerobatics/acrobatics from the prairie dogs that I used to.

The prairie dogs are definitely getting tougher.

Years of selective breeding by savvy ranchers and proper vitamins and mineral supplements are having an effect.

You cannot have breeding and nutritional programs without including the proper training.

Will have to use the single-shot Savage in 7mm/378 Weatherby with 175-grain Nosler Partitions next time.

Of course, the 220 Swift and 219 Donaldson Wasp always work.

Apache
07-12-2013, 10:28 AM
It sounds like the genetic manipulation and gene splicing at the USSPDL (United States Super Prairie Dog Labs) has had an effect.

The rhino and cape buffalo genes that were spliced into the genetic code of the PDs in Wyoming may have started influencing the latest litters of PD's.

Be careful out there!!!

stangfish
07-12-2013, 11:09 AM
I suggest one of these.

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/content/2013/0711/0711-drone-landing-aircraft-carrier/16328589-1-eng-US/0711-drone-landing-aircraft-carrier_full_600.jpg

J.Baker
07-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Howdy there Mr. Hammer! I thought of you the other day while I was perusing Gun Broker...I happened across a lightly used LH Remington 700 VSS in .220 Swift for sale and was like "I'll be darned, Hammer missed one!" haha

As for the state of Wyoming prairie dogs, rumor has it that they are conspiring with the Colorado coyotes and prairie dogs on how to get the Wyoming legislature to ban the .220 Swift and 219 Donaldson Wasp. One loose lipped coyote even mentioned something about an all-out ban on issuing non-resident hunting licenses to anyone who's name has reference to a hand tool in it.

Apache
07-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Stang, it would have worked in the old days. Before the genetics and training took place. The training that Hammer referred to has enabled them to detect those type of aircraft and take cover before an effective strike can be coordinated. Plus the new genetics have made them undetectable by all but visible means.

Anything short of a nuclear strike has proven to be ineffective against them now. If the plane gets too low to the ground......it gets really ugly. The PD bulls get very angry and can jump high enough to take them out. Somehow they know where the pilot is located and severed limbs are the usual results.

Leaves the old fashioned but effective method of spot and stalk as the only means of eradication.

Hammer
07-12-2013, 09:16 PM

Wonder if we can get the NSA files on Wyoming prairie dog communications ?

thomae
07-12-2013, 09:31 PM

Wonder if we can get the NSA files on Wyoming prairie dog communications ?

.Not possible. They use encrypted tactical communications with single use keys electronically shifted 7 times per second.

Apache
07-12-2013, 10:15 PM
:p :o

Nandy
07-12-2013, 11:42 PM
You guys are a trip... maybe some day I get to join forces with y'awl and help containing of such evil force...

Apache
07-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Shhhhh!!!

"They" will put you on "the list" and the PD's will go into actively plotting your demise before you can get there.......after all, their cousins the squirrels are part of the active surveillance of the rest of the USA.....squirrels in the parks with newspapers...........and I thought our military was smart. Genetically manipulated PDs are at the heart of it all. It's the new conspiracy theory.

Caught on video and everyone thought it was just a commercial for insurance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40kPEjZpM8M

JCalhoun
07-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Hammer,

You may have to deploy the short cowboys on the Shetland ponies.

thomae
07-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Not possible. They use encrypted tactical communications with single use keys electronically shifted 7 times per second.
BTW: I was talking about the Prairie Dogs, not about NSA.

Hammer
07-14-2013, 07:47 PM

We knew you were talking about the prairie dogs.

All the NSA secrets are posted on Facebook and Twitter.

JCalhoun
07-14-2013, 11:00 PM
The pd's are in on it!

shovelheadave
07-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Ryan has been preaching the same thing and carrying a 300WM varmint rifle (180gr).

The Win Mag does appear to kill them but, the addition speed of your 7mm/378WBY might be a smart move.

bootsmcguire
07-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Man, and I thought my 6mm-WSM was going to be enough to take 'em on. I may have to rethink this.;)

Hammer
07-16-2013, 02:36 AM

No doubt that one should use two shots per bull prairie dog. One solid. One deep-penetrating controlled-expansion bullet like a bonded-core Swift A-frame partition bullet. The question is "which one first ?" The solid or the soft ?

JCalhoun
07-16-2013, 08:56 AM
I think I would make the solid first. That way you could put he A Frame through the first hole to ensure the bullet actually penetrates deep enough to open.