PDA

View Full Version : Feeding problem with center feed

BigDog
02-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I am trying out some Berger 40 grain bullets in my Savage BTH in 204 and they will not feed into the chamber. They are hitting the barrel on the side, just missing the mouth of the chamber. I do not have this problem with my Sierra 39grain bullets or other bullets. It is the new center feed type. I love the rifle but want to use some Berger bullets for coyotes. Has anyone else had this problem and what can be done to fix it?

82boy
02-04-2010, 03:00 PM
This is a common problem, the reason why the Sierra bullets work is do to the little plastic nose, the Berger's don't have this they are hollow point. You will have this problem with ALL hollow point bullets, unless you have a feed cone cut into the back of the barrel. Some people have reported that they have been able to bend the lips of the magazine to fix the problem, but this is something I would not do.

possum1
02-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I had the same problem with my 223 and 243. It seemed to get better feed over time, but I don't worry about it because I shoot single most time off the bags possum