PDA

View Full Version : Another "which press?" quistion

Alleycat
07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
So out of the following three press's which would you guys choose? Price difference between the three is almost nothing...
Lee Classic cast single stage (non-breechlock), Lee Classic cast turret and Hornady L-N-L Classic Single stage...
I choose these because that's what the local guy has in stock and they all seem to have good rep's.

I'm loading rifle ammunition in small batches for target shooting and hunting...

Cheers
A

Savage22-250
07-11-2013, 01:08 PM
I had a lee as my first press. It worked until the cast soft metal where the handle goes in broke. Lee has since redesigned that part I believe. Make sure the presses he has are the newer design.

stangfish
07-11-2013, 02:57 PM
The classic cast is a good press. The lock and load is a good press.

fgw_in_fla
07-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I had a lee as my first press. It worked until the cast soft metal where the handle goes in broke. Lee has since redesigned that part I believe. Make sure the presses he has are the newer design.

Yeah, right....
Lee redesigned it alright. And I broke 2 more after that.
For pressing bullets only I use my Classic Lee WITH the breach lock. It makes reloading just a snootch easier.

For resizing and neck sizing I use the Lee Turret. It's a lot stronger for resizing 30.06 brass I found at the range & it came from a gun with a slightly oversize chamber.

I gotta say Lee is real good with servicing what they sell. Each time I broke something they replaced / repaired it within days.

missed
07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
I have a lee breech lock and I really like it. The breech lock is a slick setup.

03mossy
07-11-2013, 04:55 PM
I really like my classic turret. It's nice having all the dies for the different calibers I reload sitting ready to go and not have to adjust dies each time I switch.

fgw_in_fla
07-11-2013, 04:58 PM
I have a lee breech lock and I really like it. The breech lock is a slick setup.

Slicker that eel snot. it's nice not having to set up dies every time. Especially for us lazy guys.

bootsmcguire
07-11-2013, 05:06 PM
I really like my classic turret. It's nice having all the dies for the different calibers I reload sitting ready to go and not have to adjust dies each time I switch.

Same Here. Love the interchangeable turrets. So much faster.

Savage22-250
07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
I switched to a turret too.

missed
07-11-2013, 05:11 PM
I keep thinking about a turret also....I wonder what the difference in accuracy would be from single stage

Savage22-250
07-11-2013, 05:20 PM
I went with a redding T7 and its built like a tank. 30 pounds of cast iron and the turret head is braced against the press body so the head is solid and doesn't move when sizing.

maxl
07-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Love my classic cast single stage use it mainly for depriming and resizing,mines several years old and built like a tank.I did't know there was a problem with the newer ones I have never had an issue with mine

phil evans
07-12-2013, 05:14 PM
i'd do a single stage press if I was a beginner.
nothing to screw up - just read and follow the directions explicitly - lots of TIME to learn.
makes accurate cartridges.
single stage for me since 1965, rcbs jr, now rcbs rock chucker.
.380apc, 9mm, 38spl, 45apc, ,223rem, .243win, .308win, 30-06.

JLShipley
07-12-2013, 10:09 PM
If you're not going to be loading more than you've stated, I would stick with a single stage press, I'm using a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Press, depending on Cal., usually just need two die change, I can be more precise with my loads.
Have fun
JS

JW
07-13-2013, 07:46 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three you have mentioned
It really comes down to what you want
I have the classic cast turret and have loaded 45acp to 30-06 with it
I do not use it as a turret except for the pistol rds but it is nice to have all your riffle dies set up and just set it in and go.
As for accuracy with this press, I have not seen a problem, bullet run out measurement is good
I believe the dies have more to do with the run out than the press ( my opinion).
All that said, good luck with your choice, read all you can in the load manuals FIRST, and be safe
Thanks
Jack

Alleycat
07-15-2013, 10:48 AM
I had traded some stuff awhile back and ended up with a Lee reloader press, about the smallest/flimsiest press there is, and thought I would try it out to see if I liked reloading. Well I really like playing around making my own ammunition so its now time I get a press that's a little more robust...lol Some people say they don't like the play that is in the lock-n-load, breechlock and turret press's. Not sure if a fella like me would ever notice it. The classic turret is sounding pretty nice.

LHitchcox
07-15-2013, 11:13 AM
I have the Lee Cast turret and it is great to have extra turrets with dies already set. Right now I have more money invested in extra turrets than I do in the press. I have 5 pistol calibers and 10 rifle calibers set and ready to go.

Captlink
07-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Lee turret 30 years and going strong accuracy excellent.

bootsmcguire
07-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Alleycat, I too have one of those "Reloader" presses along with my Lee Turret. When I started buying all my gear to begin reloading some years back, I bought the Lee Breachlock press and bought the Lee manual, and Natchez had a special at that time, you could buy the manual for $13 or buy the manual for $18 and get the Reloader press for free, for $5 I'd say I have gotten my money's worth out of the press. I keep it mounted on the bench with a Universal Decapping Die in it for those times when you just need it.