PDA

View Full Version : Convert Your Bottom Bolt Release To A Top Release

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Nandy
07-11-2013, 10:43 AM
I have and oxygen acetylene torch and wonder if I use that just on the tab it will not affect the sear hardened part that contact the trigger ...

scope eye
07-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I have and oxygen acetylene torch and wonder if I use that just on the tab it will not affect the sear hardened part that contact the trigger ...

I was thinking more propane or map type gases

Dean

brasse
07-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Photos? Photos? Pleeeeeaaaasssseee

scope eye
07-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Photos? Photos? Pleeeeeaaaasssseee

I don't exactly know what you want to see, all you do is pull the pin where the sear rides on, and replace it with the new one, and then put the pin back no tools necessary, easy peasy.

Dean

Nandy
07-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I doubt propane will do it, not sure Map will do it and I would worry about heat transfer do to the time you will have to heat the sear up. I think oxy/aceti will do better as using a #1 or #2 tip you can direct the heat better. I have all 3 but I think I will start with oxy/aceti.

BigRso
07-12-2013, 08:22 AM
You guy work fast they are all sold out... Lol

Thanks for sharing this is a huge help in my search for a bottom metal option for my model 16.

scope eye
07-12-2013, 08:45 AM
You guy work fast they are all sold out... Lol

Thanks for sharing this is a huge help in my search for a bottom metal option for my model 16.

Hey my fellow New yorker, try these guys there right down the street from you.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Dean

BigRso
07-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Hey my fellow New yorker, try these guys there right down the street from you.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Dean

Thank you Dean but they are sold out as well.

stangfish
07-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Yep. When you post something on the internet somebody goes out and buy every last one.

BigRso
07-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Yep. When you post something on the internet somebody goes out and buy every last one.
You got that right, I bet a lot of people where looking for this fix I know I was.

scope eye
07-12-2013, 11:19 AM

You got to be kidding me, WOW I am speechless, if that's the case that's just wrong.

Dean

scope eye
07-12-2013, 11:27 AM
You can get them from savage directly, but you will have to have them sent to a gun smith or an FFL.

Dean

Nandy
07-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Just wait for them to be available. Im sure that is not going to be like the ammunition shortage...

stangfish
07-12-2013, 12:15 PM
I bet Fred has some.

scope eye
07-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Someone is trying to corner the market, on trigger sears.

Dean

scope eye
07-12-2013, 03:58 PM
I think I may have found some, I will keep everyone posted.

Dean

scope eye
07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
I have found some stainless steel sears, and they seem to be more forgiving when bending them plus the coolness factor, they are 21 bucks I have the part number, so PM me if you want it because I am not posting it on the forum, since some one scooped all they others up "shame on them" and if you do PM me make sure you are contributing member of this forum post wise, please don't ask me for the part number if you have a half dozen posts, I will give it to you but only after I feel all the frequent posting members have had a chance to get there's a couple at a time hopefully.

Dean

sharpshooter
07-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Savage never made them in stainless....they are just plated to look that way. Also the "silver " sears were never made in the accutrigger version, which has a staggered notch in the center of the engaging surface.

jpdown
07-16-2013, 08:24 PM
I ordered a side release sear as soon as I saw scope eye's post. I got it and was able to bend slightly and attach to my action and it worked. But it looked like there was a stress fracture had started at the bend. It snapped when I tried to bend back closer to the action with only a slight amount of pressure. So go slowly, check often and don't bend more than absolutely necessary to just clear the action or it will snap as noted by sharpshooter.

Nandy
07-16-2013, 08:44 PM
You should be able to braze that back with 5 or 6% silver brazing rods like what is used in the hvac industry. Make sure you clean it good and use paste on it. You should be able to do it with propane but if you have access to oxy/acety then use a small tip like a number 1 or so. You dont need to get it too hot, as soon as the steel start turning red you are closer to the temp. It is under 200% probably...