PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About Checking Headspace

JRussell
07-10-2013, 08:25 AM
I just got a set Forster gauges and the directions said to remove the extractor but didn't mention the ejector. I removed the extractor but could feel the ejector putting pressure on the gauge. Since the gauges have a rim similar to a real shell, I tried it again with the extractor in place and it grabbed the rim and ejected just like a shell casing does.

Now I'm wondering if the ejector is what really needs to be removed to properly check HS?

stangfish
07-10-2013, 09:18 AM
You will probably hear it both ways. For me, when I headspace I push the headspace gauge into the chamber delicately close the bolt. screw the barrel or action in until it stops. Snug the barrel nut with my fingers. Open the bolt. If it ejects, I am of the opinion that the bolt face has been in contact with the gauge. Reinsert the gauge and double check.. I then mark my barrel ad action. Open the bolt, tighten the nut, recheck with both go and no go. If the lines still line up and the gauges work I'm good. Most of the time I use a sized piece of brass to verify the headspace to my die setup. That way all my brass will fit at its current size.

So to answer your question, for some you don't need to disassemble anything.

JRussell
07-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the great info!

I should've mentioned that I am not re-barreling yet. I'm planning to in a few days but wanted to learn how to properly use the gauges first. So the pressure from the ejector doesn't interfere for you?

stangfish
07-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Some say it does but the hand strength when turning the action overcomes the spring force quite easily. In my case as in most the barrel will be in the barrel vice. so I am turning the action. I have an action wrench a barrel vice and the nut wrench so I have other options, I simply choose to have the barrel clamped very close to the action.

People bend stuff with out thinking about leverage. I am trying to straighten an action now that, I picked up from some guy. He twisted and then sold it to me. (Shaking my head.)

Nor Cal Mikie
07-10-2013, 09:49 AM
And something else to consider: If the ejector or extractor would change the headspace setting by applying side to side pressure, maybe the chamber is WAY out of wack??
Side to side movement would have to be extreme? I quit using gauges long ago. Stuff the brass in the chamber and close the bolt.
NEVER plan to shoot "factory" ammo so my headspace is set with full length resized brass, set on the tight side so my brass lasts a long time. Set your headspace where you feel comfortable.