PDA

View Full Version : My Prairie Dog Scope - HIGHLY Recommend considering it

EvanB
07-09-2013, 05:52 PM
I love Prairie Dog shooting. After about 8 years I have found what I think is a great combination for consistant dogs from 50-450 Yards with a .223. The scope makes all the difference.

Let me preface this by telling you that my brother in law and I are each similarly rigged as we always go together. The scope we use, and we now have a total of 5 of them on our rifles, is the Burris Eliminator II. This scope has reduced our ammo usage by 75% is not more. It is a laser rangefinding scope that has a light on the vertical crosshair that indicates the proper hold for the exact cartridge you are shooting. Touch the button, you get a read out in yards or meters similar to 376y. Put the little light on the dog and he is flipped off the mound. Our single shot kills are higher than 90% when we do our part.

Windage isnt a big factor in our shooting because we set up with the wind in our face or at our back. For crosswind shots, we get the correct windage hold pretty fast. The newest Eliminator III has a windage feature and some improvements but the cost difference isnt worth it to me.

We shoot a lot of dogs. We reload to afford it and it is still expensive. We are so consistant with hits that we most often let the other guy also range the shot and watch our hits. If there are more than one dog, we shoot simultaneously.

This scope is the most fun I have had shooting in many years. Give it a look!

scope eye
07-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Linky's are always much more better.

Dean

scope eye
07-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Is this the one?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/eliminatorII.html

Dean

Whow one thousand bucks.

Westcliffe01
07-09-2013, 09:20 PM
That's the one the other poster bought which arrived DOA - right ? He traded up for a Leupold if I remember.

EvanB
07-10-2013, 12:45 PM
That's the one - the $1000 price - HOWEVER, I and my Brother in Law got ours for about $700 each. Yes, they are pricey yet many of the scopes out there are in that range and wont do what this one will do. Natchez Shooters Supply is the distributor for all of their re-conditioned scopes. Try to find an eliminator that is used. RARE. If you do, it is probably the buyer wanted to use it on a carry around rifle and it is heavy for that purpose. We shoot off benches with our truck usually not more than 20 yards away.

As far as one being DOA; sure, could happen. I doubt that Burris didnt honor a warranty.

By the way, I demonstrated to a guy at my shooting club that I hit swinging steel at 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards. I said in under a minute and actually did it in 32 seconds with my AR .223. Steel at 100 was 8", 200 is 10" and 300 - 500 are all 12". Sure, bigger than prairie dogs, but how fast could you pull it off with your scope?

And, i dont say this scope is perfect for anyone or anything. The optics are certainly better on some scopes. But for us, for the way we shoot PD's, it is perfect!

stangfish
07-10-2013, 01:12 PM
This is awesome. You have found a piece of equipment that vastly improved your enjoyment of one of your favorite past times. More power to you. I am convinced, and as much as us old timers have turned our back on technology(in our prime it failed more than it succeeded) its time has finally arrived. The only downfall I see is that now you are ....*****Spoiled!!!!!!!!*****.

EvanB
07-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Spoiled is right! My worst shooting came from my inability to judge distances accurately. With a .223, the bullet I am using falls 57 inches at 500 yards when sighted in at 100. With that much trajectory, a misjudgement in range often meant misses. And when the criters started to run, subsequent shots, rapid fire from an AR, spent a lot of ammo. It is much more enjoyable to make those one shot kills. I admit it is very cool to say "got one at 341 yeards" and then immediately say "Wow, did you see that!".

EvanB
07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
By the way, this scope is illegal in some states, for big game only I suspect - varmints being OK. Check your regulations.

243LPR
07-10-2013, 09:17 PM
What makes it illegal? What states? It's not projecting a dot or beam.

Westcliffe01
07-10-2013, 10:19 PM
So for the list price of $1000 you get a 4-12x42 scope with 42min of internal adjustment + an integral 700 yard rangefinder. It weighs 1.6lb and will probably be hungry for batteries. It has an "indicator" for drop based on an internal ballistics computer, I just don't know if it also senses station pressure and temperature to compensate for temp and density differences.

I prefer that my equipment be capable of operation without batteries and preferably without sensitive electronics. With a wind meter, some of that can't be avoided yet even with the Burris scope you still have that need. I do not yet have a calibrated licked fingertip. All of my Viper PST FFP scopes have cost less than this Burris monster, offer more magnification (double in the case of the 6-24x50) and still offer battery free ranging capability. How about 65moa of adjustment on the 6-24 and 75moa on the 4-16 PST ?

As long as society continues to function, the shops stay open and supplies are available, this could be a fun toy, if you treat it very nicely and the factory puts it together right. If I am going to put money into electronic gadgets, it will be ones that provide a considerably more important advantage, like a FLIR type night vision system. During the day, there is nothing these gimmic scopes do which a thinking man cannot with simpler equipment. Our brains need exercise too...

stangfish
07-11-2013, 03:01 AM
During the day, there is nothing these gimmic scopes do which a thinking man cannot with simpler equipment.

Like I said us old timers just cant bring ourselves to rely on technology.

scope eye
07-11-2013, 03:54 AM
Like I said us old timers just cant bring ourselves to rely on technology.

Some one rang, hey if I had a 1000 bucks to spend on a scope, it would be a Sightron SIII 10-50X60, but if you say you have found something that works, I am not here to argue and am always willing to learn, and believe you me it ain't easy.

Spanky

EvanB
07-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Everyone has their preferences. Use what you like, I was just informing those interested in what works for me.

I am not sure which states have it illegal, was told that in another forum. I believe it was Montana or Idaho for one Western State and another Eastern state, if I remember it might have been Conn., N.H. or Mass. Sorry I cant be more informative on that aspect.

By the way, a personal rant - Sandy Hook shootings were a tradgety. But the press doesnt spend much time reminding the public that 22 VETERANS commit suicide EVERY DAY. And our government is doing far less for our veterans than I think is possible and warranted. To all my fellow veterans - Thanks for your service and your sacrifice.

stangfish
07-12-2013, 02:12 AM
22 VETERANS commit suicide EVERY DAY.

What can we do. I'm ready.

Stockrex
07-12-2013, 11:18 AM
What can we do. I'm ready.
I like the scope but price and legality would sway me away,
it is the entire culture, no compassion, nobody give a &^^% unless they need something from ya. mental health is pretty much the bas****t child twice removed and gets swept under the rug, and most of the BMC docs just want to milk the system and not interested in treatment.

thomae
07-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Please keep the politics and the off topic stuff out of the posts.

Nandy
07-13-2013, 12:00 AM
That is a nice scope and if I had the money and access to continuously pd hunting it will be sitting on top of my rifle.

BTSniper
07-13-2013, 12:50 AM
I had a similar experience this year PD hunting regarding first round hit percentages. It wasn't the scope but a change to the 20-223 round. Shooting 32 grain V-Max at 4200 fps my hold was dead on out to at least 250 yrds. Most of my shooting was within 200 yrds and there where very few misses. Awesome round.

I'm sure that scope is cool! For me I think I found my ideal PD rig in the 20 practical with a simple 10X scope on top! Hold on fur and that's all there was to it!

BT