PDA

View Full Version : Lock n Load single stage kit...what else?

moonbogg
07-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Starting reloading and have been blown away by the choices, but think I am getting closer. The Hornady single stage kit seems decent, but I have heard bad things about the scale not working right, needing extra items for the powder measure to work right for rifles and was wondering what else I might be missing. I know kits generally ship with cheap extras that barely work or don't work at all and these kits are usually noob bait. I'm trying to avoid that.
I wouldn't mind buying just the press and the other stuff individually, but I am noob and need help. Reloading .223 and I have some 69gr SMKs and some AR-comp powder ready to go. I just need some over priced wolf primers and my reloading press. The kit is available at midway and I just don't want to end up buying things twice, such as a better scale, better hand priming tool etc.

missed
07-09-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't know about the kit items, but I have an old ohaus scale that I use I prefer the balance beam unless its one of the higher dollar digitals. I have a lee press myself. It seems like all the powder droppers cam be kinda finicky. I would get a powder trickler to make it quicker getting the load where you want it.

stangfish
07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Moonbogg,
The great thing about the internet is you can find exhaustive info on just about anything. Keep asking questions and researching the product you want. I noticed your powder and bullet selection and that indicates to me that you are after accuracy. Plinking is one thing, one hole groups is another. If you look around most of the guys taking that route go a little extra on their stuff. Any pkg deal is going to be limited and may leave you wanting when you realize its shortcomings. A good place to start but don't fool yourself. Accuracy as a rule is a little extra. Sometimes it pays to pick up the right stuff the first time or you will end up like many of us with your less than adequate stuff in a box with the "right stuff" on the bench.

For accuracy most presses will do from the major manufacturers. You need a way to clean brass, A bucket with some extra soapy water is a good start. You can graduate to the latest tumbler w/ss pins if you have the need. You want a competition die set of some sort, I have shot good groups with cheap lee stuff, I have since moved away but a good place to start. A reliable way to measure powder. Cheap digitals are trash. Quality beam scales are good enough for most. A powder measure/throw only needs to get you close. (You want the rifle model.) The trickler and the scale will do the finish work. If you are using a ball powder like H335 for throwing lead you can probably get away with just dropping out of the dispenser. A powder trickler should be weighted whether you buy it that way or you fill the bottom with weight.
The extras
A case trimmer at some point. If you buy deburring tools you will do yourself a favor if you buy the Lyman VLD Inside and outside chamfer tools. Flash hole deburr tool. Lymans works for me. I also like the carbide primer pocket uniformer. I take it out of the handle and use it in a drill. Makes 'em nice and uniform. Quality calipers. Case headspace gauge, RCBS or Hornady. hand primers are good some are better but they allow you to feel the primer going in. There is more but I gotta go to the doctor. I am sure I missed some things. the other guys will fill in or offer an alternative....all good stuff to think about.

bythebook
07-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Moonbogg after going thru about 5 setups over the last 40+ years of loading I have settled on a Forster press and a Lyman 1200II scale/measure. Right now I have Lyman Spart T and a Lee press in the cabinet and an RCBS Rockchucker mounted on the bench which rarely gets used. Also on the bench is a Hornady prep center that trims and does the complete case prep.

The main thing you have to remember is do not have a lot of distractions when you are loading esp. when you are just getting started. Get a method that works for you and gets you results you want and do everything the same every time. That does not mean you can't make changes, but I would suggest make them 1 at a time and when you get them learned and part of your system go on. I think you will find what ever equipment you have will work if you get a method and a rythem going every time.

Sorry for being so long winded,
Gordon

PS. So far my best group is a 1 time group at 100 yds. 5 shots in .094 CTC with a 243.

davemuzz
07-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Moonbogg, I can't criticize any of the above advice. All a little different, but all good advice. Now, here's my $1.28 to the pile. When I began to reload for my 44 Magnum there was a local shop (where I bought my 44 Smith) that would also buy complete reloading set-up's from estates. He had a Lee "O" Type press (maybe they are the Classic today) a very old balance beam scale (still in the very old box...and still very accurate!!) along with a few other sundries (lee hand primer and stuff I can't recall) to get me started. I also added some Lee case trimmers for the 44 Mag--that I found out later I really didn't need....but I think the whole she-bang out the door was under $75. I'm pretty sure the press was cast Iron....but maybe not.

My point is I loaded a ton of 44-Mag, then .223's, then 308's on that little single stage and all of it went bang!!! Eventually I purchased a Hornady LNL progressive for loading 44 Magnumbs and 45acp and some others, and a RCBS Rockchucker for my bottleneck rifle's.

However, I just looked at Midway and the price for the Hornay kit is $320 & shipping. I would think Hornady has some free bullet offset for this to essentially bring the cost down, as long as you can get the bullets. But eventually you will get the bullets. I like the press because it's NOT aluminum. But...that's just my personal preference. I also think for a newbie, Hornady prints an excellent manual. In fact, the only item in that kit that I think is on the cheap side is the scale. If you look at just the scale in Midway, and look at the reviews, they go about 50/50 good and bad.

One thing I will say about electronic scales (as I have the RCBS electronic powder thrower and scale combo) is when you use one, don't use it with any type of fan, or A\C unit blowing air around you. Air flow does weird things to a electronic scale.

The die bushings are the greatest things since sliced bread!! The powder thrower Hornady makes is up there with Redding, Lyman, Dillon or any other good quality one.

If I had an unlimited budget, it would be different, but I see nothing wrong with this start up kit and then keeping my sights set on upgrading the scale as soon as you could.

MHO

Dave

moonbogg
07-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. I plan on ordering individual parts. 3 questions:

Does the LNL single stage press comes with the LNL bushings? I think i read that it does, but not certain.

Should I go with a full length sizing die, or a neck only sizing die?

The bullet seating dies often have a built in crimp feature. Can this be disabled? I have read that crimping is not needed, especially for a .223 bolt action.

EDIT: One more question. If I use a powder trickler, why would I use a drop as well? Do I use the drop to dump an oversized load in the trickler, then fine tune it down and dump each charge, by hand, into the cartridge after trickling?

Thanks again.

stangfish
07-09-2013, 05:05 PM
A crimp die is separate.
You can use lee scoops to get close on your powder and trickle to weight or you can use the measure to drop close and trickle to weight.
There is so much information on youtube it is not funny. Spend some time and watch some vids. What it all boils down to is how far you want to go. Like frank said you can easily make them go bang but to get what bythebook is talking about, case prep is king. Case prep is more than just dies and press. It is not as easy as it once was but you can find the little things you need in classifieds on the forums if your diligent. You are entering a huge world. Reloading can get extremely technical. You have a good plan. By quality reloading tools and components. As you learn you will see some wisdom every response. This is a big learning experience but most of your question will come after you have shot your first rounds. There is so much more than primer, powder and projectile. Get a quality reloading manual. They all have a section on reloading that is a must read. good luck

moonbogg
07-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Here's my list of stuff that I have clicked "BUY" on so far.

Lock N load Classic Press (stand alone)
Lee deluxe 3 die set
RCBS shell holder #10
Hornady M-2 case tumbler with treated corn cob media (lyman)
Lee ergo hand priming tool with special shell holder
Hornady Lock N Load auto charger powder dispenser/scale (hope I don't regret not getting the RCBS Chargemaster)
Forster chamfer/deburring tool
Lee primer pocket cleaner

Still need to settle on a case trimming method and primer pocket uniforming method as well as some other basics, like containers for holding and storing ammo during reloading, funnel etc. Also a stand for the press. So far this is double the price of the starter kit, but honestly those kits aren't for me. Buy once cry once baby (hopefully). And I didn't forget I need a good reloading book of course. ABCs of reloading should be a good start along with countless videos and other research.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I need to choose a good OAL gage for bullet adjustment to lands. I think Sinclair has a nice one.

missed
07-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I have been using the lee trimming gear in my cordless drill and it works pretty well.

Kaianuanu
07-12-2013, 04:21 PM
I've been having awesome results with the inexpensive lee single stage starter kit (cant remember if anniversary or challenger) and RCBS dies.

Maztech89
07-13-2013, 01:57 AM
If I may make a recommendation for a good way to measure OAL, take a look at these. I really like mine, I have both sizes and really like them. I use them in conjunction with the hornady modified cases and OAL gauge as a quick lazy mans way to find the lands then use the Sinclair "nut" for die setup etc.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/measuring-tools/bullet-comparators/sinclair-hex-style-bullet-comparators-prod34262.aspx

Also, it is my experience (and all my loading buddies too) that for a powder measure at a working mans price, the Redding BR30 is the best choice. I currently use an RCBS but after using a Redding with the micrometer adjustment and much tighter feeling, I'm ordering one soon.