PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Feeding ? ?

Hylander
02-04-2010, 02:35 AM
I'm considering the 10 Predator Hunter in .223
It has the "Centerline Feeding" Blind Mag.
How in the World do you load the Mag.
Me and the store owner could not figure it out :-[

Uncle Jack
02-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Just like any other rifle with a blind magazine....one at a time from the top. Early bolt action military rifles starting, I think, with the 1888 Mauser employed a slot at the rear of the action that used stripper clips so you could feed 5 rounds at once. Most all sporting rifles did not. It's hard to believe that a gun store owner doesn't know how to load a bolt action rifle with a blind magazine. The problem is not with loading the magazine, it's unloading that's the PITA.

Do I detect the odor of Troll here?

uj

Hylander
02-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Troll ?
I'm pretty sure I have a ligit question here.
This is the new Centerline Feeding mag, you can not just push a round
down it like a staggerd mag. It seems it must go 3/4 the way into the chamber to clear
the feed lips and then slide back under the feed lips, but that is near impossible to do.

DGD6MM
02-04-2010, 12:10 PM
The mag lips are stiff, but very possible to load without sliding halfway into the chamber. I think every new firearm comes with an OWNERS MANUAL.

Smokepole
02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Just shove them in as normal. It'll take more force than the staggerfeed and is more aggravating, but that's how it's done.

steveinwv
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Even if you buy a centerfeed detachable magazine model it loads by pushing straight down on the cartridge with or without the clip in your hand. Just easier to unload since you can remove the mag and push the shells straight out. Blind mags are a pain, my 25-06 VLP is proof.

Hylander
02-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Well I went back to the local shop today to try loading it again.
It was a no Go again ??? So I gave up on that model
Tonight on GB I purchased a Savage 10 Predator Hunter Snow Camo .223
With DM ;D
Can't wait to get it.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/hylander7/Savage1.jpg

steveinwv
02-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I can only assume that you were laying the shell in front of the black plastic spacer before you pushed down on the shell and not trying to depress the spacer itself. If this is the case, you'll have the same issue with a DM because the spacer is riveted in.

Hylander
02-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I can only assume that you were laying the shell in front of the black plastic spacer before you pushed down on the shell and not trying to depress the spacer itself. If this is the case, you'll have the same issue with a DM because the spacer is riveted in.

Yes the shell was clear of the spacer.
Some have said "Just push it straight down" right though the Feed lips.
After awhile that is going to destroy the Feed lips.

louthedog
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Those feed lips are waaaay tougher than you are giving them credit for. The lips on the rifle you were trying to load may have to be sprung out a bit so the round will feed down past them. That's the way they are supposed to be loaded...push the round straight down.

steveinwv
02-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Yes the shell was clear of the spacer.
Some have said "Just push it straight down" right though the Feed lips.
After awhile that is going to destroy the Feed lips.

You'll understand when you get your detachable mag gun and you'll shove them straight down just like the blind mag. I think Savage had several trillion cycles in mind with the design before a failure would occur. Enjoy you new gun, it's a nice one.

Texas Solo
02-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I have the exact rifle you're getting, with the DM.
A word of advice...the mag to breech fit is very tight too. At first, I thought the mag was fully inserted, but when I tried to chamber a round, the bolt rode over top of the round. Be sure the mag is FULLY inserted. I found that inserting the rear end slightly ahead of the front, then securely snapping the front in solved the problem.

Great shooting rifle. Factory Hornady 55gr VMAX shoots .75 MOA.

Hylander
02-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks again for the input guys :)
I will be shooting 40gr. and 55gr. V-Max's
loaded on top of H-335 and Varget.
My last Savage "12FV" shot these loads .5 MOA 8)

I know it is Pillar bedded but I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to
Glass bed the action.