PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 Rings/Mounts

Maxamillion
07-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Hey everyone, I'm a new member just wanted to say hi from Wisconsin! I have a Savage 111 Fxcp3, it is the model that comes with a cheap scope and rings. It does not have an accu trigger. I have replaced the scope with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9-40. The original cheap aluminum rings are still on the gun. I am going to be replacing these with Burris Signature Zee rings by myself. I have some tools such as- Wheeler Fat Torque Wrench, Blue Loctite, and a Tipton gun vise, not the best gun vise just the gun vise. I believe the only thing I need now is a way to level the rifle to the vise, then I will proceed to level the scope turret to that. What do I need to make sure the rifle is level to the vice? I have a small level I can use to level the scope turret, but I need a solid way to level the rifle to the vice. I have seen Wheelers level system but It does not seem like it would fit a savage because of the round reciver. I just need a solid level system that I know will make the scope level to the rifle. Also if anyone has some tips on scope mounting they would be greatly appreciated, this is my first time mounting a scope.
Thanks, Max

stangfish
07-09-2013, 12:46 AM
There are some great vids on youtube like this one and more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=COoXVpGfXQE

Maxamillion
07-09-2013, 02:02 AM
Thanks, but I'm looking for more of what kind of level will fit my 111. And where to get the level

stangfish
07-09-2013, 02:23 AM
Oh, You want a scope level? I have never heard of a level being specific to a savage 111. Anything that fits a Remington would fit. 1.350 inches in diameter for the actions.

How did you do your non savage rifles?

If you are shooting long range there are ways to level the scope without buying the gimmicks. Rather easy really. I use the butt pad screws, a square and a level to get the stock level. I then use the level to square up the reticle.

Sab1 posted this. I do it differently but I thought it was simple and easy to do.
http://www.cyclewacko.com/images/Scope%20Alignment%20Drawing.jpg

Maxamillion
07-09-2013, 10:34 AM
So will the Wheeler level level level fit my rifle.?

stangfish
07-09-2013, 01:18 PM
After reading others issues I would say that 1)The Wheeler system is not optimal for a savage round receiver. 2) Unless you are shooting long range this is a non issue.
Something to consider.

What do I need to make sure the rifle is level to the vice? I have a small level I can use to level the scope turret, but I need a solid way to level the rifle to the vice.

Which is more important? The scope on centerline with the axis of the barrel bore or the scope level with the stock.

Maxamillion
07-10-2013, 12:02 AM
What method would you recommend to level the scope to the rifle.

din
07-12-2013, 04:32 PM
What method would you recommend to level the scope to the rifle.

The rhythm method.

thomae
07-12-2013, 09:04 PM
The rhythm method.Not helpful.

Unless you are deliberately mounting your scope off center, but want it and the rifle to be level, (I think some offhand silhouette shooters do this, but I am not sure) you don't need to worry about "level."

WHat you want is that a line that goes along the vertical crosshair of your scope also goes through the full diameter (centerline) of your rifle barrel. Ideally, that would be a plumb line, but frankly, it can be any line at any angle because if you align your vertical crosshair with that line and it cuts a full diameter through the center of your bore, you are good to go.

Remember, when you adjust your scope, you actually change your bore alignment, so the scope and bore geometry are what is critical, not so much the stock.

Maxamillion
07-12-2013, 09:11 PM
How would I do that what would I need.

thomae
07-12-2013, 09:28 PM
How would I do that what would I need.Ok, look at the diagram in post number 4 in this thread.

You need a way to hold your rifle steady, some sort of clamp or rest setup.

Take the bolt out of the rifle so you can look through the barrel.
Center your scope adjustment
Loosen your scope in the mounts so it is held, but you can rotate it with your hand.

Using the clamp or rest adjust your rifle so that when you sight through the barrel you see
a) the concentric circles of the breech and muzzle ends of the barrel
AND
b)what ever your reference line is [(edge of a building, antenna tower, plumb line that you have suspended somewhere, Rope hanging from tree (that is not swaying), etc... ] is lined up through the center diameter of the barrel
AND
c) that same reference line goes through the center point (but not necessarily along the vertical crosshair) of your scope.

Once you have all of those three conditions met, then rotate your scope until the vertical crosshair is right on top of the reference line.

Tighten everything up and recheck to make sure all the above conditions are met.

You are done.

Maxamillion
07-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Thank you, I will use a rope hanging from the ceiling with a weight.

din
07-18-2013, 01:57 AM
Max, if you can try and use a dark line in front of a light surface/wall for your reference. It should make picking up the reference line a little easier.

Maxamillion
07-18-2013, 07:54 AM
I will do that,the one thing that is confusing once i have the string lined up with the bore and the scope verticals line, if I move my eye or point of view when looking at them the place of the string moves, it will always go back to the center but it shifts when I move my head. Will that affect the levelness of the scope at all?

thomae
07-18-2013, 09:22 PM
I will do that,the one thing that is confusing once i have the string lined up with the bore and the scope verticals line, if I move my eye or point of view when looking at them the place of the string moves, it will always go back to the center but it shifts when I move my head. Will that affect the levelness of the scope at all?If I understand your situation, that's called parallax error. It is because the focal plane us of the object (in this case the reference line) is not on the same plane as the focus plane of the reticle. It should not affect the relative vertical of the scope to the bore.

Your scope likely is set up to be parallax error-free at 100 yards. Most non-adjustable scopes use 100 yards.