PDA

View Full Version : Sims De-Resonator, and/or Sims Limbsaver

Willy
07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
I would like to know if anyone has tried these products on their Savage rifles, and how it turned out.

davemuzz
07-07-2013, 08:17 PM
The Limsaver recoil pads are the best recoil pads on the market. You can go their web site and print out a template of the sizes of their recoil pads, then remove your existing recoil pad (or plate) and find one that fits. Then put in on and go shoot 40 rounds of your hardest kicking ammo, and your shoulder will be just fine.

Now, those De-Resonator's.....well, I've never used one because they are just flat out ugly. UGLY. I don't care how well they make your gun shoot....they are UGLY!! Besides, all they do is adjust your barrel harmonics, and just because you (you = the buyer) are too lazy to float your barrel and bed your action, which will give you excellent barrel harmonics, then buy one of those stupid donuts and tell everyone that you are lazy and your gun is UGLY!!

But....that's what I think.

Dave

snowgetter1
07-07-2013, 11:03 PM
According to these reports they made things worse.
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=125

darkker
07-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Now, those De-Resonator's.....all they do is adjust your barrel harmonics, because you (you = the buyer) are too lazy to float your barrel and bed your action, which will give you excellent barrel harmonics, then buy one of those stupid donuts and tell everyone that you are lazy and your gun is UGLY!!

But....that's what I think.

Dave

Here-here!!
If you don't want to spend the time learning and tuning your loads and rifle.... Maybe the shooting sports aren't your deal...

davemuzz
07-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Here-here!!
If you don't want to spend the time learning and tuning your loads and rifle.... Maybe the shooting sports aren't your deal...

The OP didn't mention that he was a hand loader. I've been loading my own for over ten years. You can still find sweet spots using hand loads, however.....you can cut those into one-hole groups at 100 yards by simply doing a good bedding job on the action and (of course) making sure the barrel is free floated. (Or simply buy a new Savage with the Accustock! No bedding needed!!)

thomae
07-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Guys, lets be careful here...It sounds like the OP is getting flamed for asking a question...I don't think you mean to do that, but it is starting to come across that way.

The barrel de-resonator (Disclaimer: I have never used one) is supposed to change the harmonics of the barrel's vibrations. Some folks have had good results, some folks not. To be truly useful, you would need to try it on your rifle, with your ammo and slowly move it up or down the barrel in very small increments as you test your ammo. My guess is that you would have to do that again if you changed ammo.

As far as looks...that's a personal matter. I don't care how your rifle looks if it performs well.

(I don't care how I look either...because I don't have to look at me...everybody else does! So THERE!)

davemuzz
07-09-2013, 12:28 PM
thomae had a true and valid point. After all I once owned a Stevens 200 in .308 with that ugly plastic grey stock that would get made fun of at the range as the ugliest gun ever made, etc....until I would hit the 6x6" plate at 400 yards on every shot. Then the crowd wanted to shoot it. Then they wanted to know what ammo. (It was just a Hornady 110 over Varget) And yes, the stock was just bedded with Davcon.

But, some shooters simply don't hand load for a lot of reasons. I suppose some may not have the time to do a bedding job either. So, if your gun doesn't give you good consistent groups, try the De-Resonator. It may give you better, do nothing, or make things worse. I don't know. But I do know Limbsaver recoil pads are the best.

And if someone at the ranges tells you your doughnut is ugly, tell them you saw their sister yesterday and.......(well...maybe you shouldn't tell them that)

Dave