PDA

View Full Version : CCI200 primers missfiring

Pages : 1 2 [3]

mpsmithvs
12-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Nandy,

I realize this thread is some what older but thought I'd share my experience. With the ammo panic last year I bought up a great deal of the basics that I use extensively. I have generally used CCI-200 and Winchester LR Primers. I purchased a fair amount of both and reloaded spring and summer for load tuning and the Fall hunting season. Recently I reloaded a number of rounds for my .308 and new .260 for some more load development. I had in the order of 10 -15 FTF's in about a 100 # load lot. It was pretty disturbing because I had never had this experience with any CCI primers. They were stored in my safe in my garage. I figured the humidity may be a factor and have moved my stock indoors. I also bought an additional 1000 CCI-200's when I stumbled upon them in a local dealer. I loaded up for the fall hunt around 60 rounds with the new ones and have had 4 more FTF's 2 each in both rifles. All FTFs have been solid primer strikes and upon disassembling all the loads I found no evidence of humidity issues in powder, internal cartridge or punched out primers. At this point I have no answer except to suspect CCI for the first time in my 30 plus years of shooting them has a bad batch out there. I have taken the steps to keep my primers "High and Dry" but it is a bit disturbing every time I've put the crosshairs on an animal that the round may not fire and I'll here that dud click ! It has not cost me any game harvests. l but on the range it has shaken my confidence. Nothing more disconcerting than that "dry thunk". I will continue to monitor the status of the CCI's. I am wondering if it is specific to a particular lot in the production run.?

mp

FW Conch
12-26-2013, 11:40 AM
May be the result of "pushing" to meet the demand ? ? ? ;-(