PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Stevens 200/ Savage 111 fair price?

timtiminy
07-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Hi there, been lurking around on the interwebs as of late and putting together a bit of a build list for a long range hunting rifle. I decided that the Savage/Stevens long action is what I would like to build off of since it seems like there is a decent aftermarket and the cost of that route is appealing. So that leads me to my questioning... I figure the Stevens 200 is probably the cheaper than the 111 so what would be a rock bottom price for a Stevens 200 300wm bare rifle... new and used? I've heard sale pricing as low as sub $200.. is that common? Anyone looking to part with such a rifle for a good price? :)

Blitzfike
07-07-2013, 11:23 AM
I paid $340 for a new one, in retrospect, I wish I had gone for an older 110 for the project. The trigger on the newest 200's is terrible, or at least mine was. It was assembled incorrectly from the factory and I did improve it greatly by assembling it correctly. The stock is fairly flimsy, so an aftermarket stock is definitely in the future here. I put a heavy stainless 300 win mag barrel on it and a JP brake. The recoil is about like shooting a 243 with this combo with 165 grain loads. The big millet scope on top helps the recoil with its added weight also. I have lots more to do to this one over the next year to get it to where I want it, but as living on a fixed income limits what I am willing to spend all at once, it extends the projects out a bit. $200.00 for any of the Savage actions in this group is a very good deal from my perspective.

jpdown
07-07-2013, 12:23 PM
You might want to become a paid member so that you can see the classified section on this site. It seems used Savage and Stevens LA's are going in the $250 - $300 range. I would buy a Savage LA CF with the Accutrigger which is one of the best adjustable factory triggers on the market. I would also get an action with the side bolt release lever. There are a number of aftermarket stock options that will work with this combination. You can also pick up a 7mm RM or 300 WM barrel fairly easy in the classifieds, especially after hunting season.

That said, if you want a new action to build on, then the best value IMO is the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP. The action will have a better resale value than the Stevens 200 action. It will also save you $100 in replacing the crappy trigger. It comes with a Nikon BDC scope (Prostaff), Accutrigger and composite DBM assembley. Sell the parts you don't want to keep as new take-off parts to get the best price. Then put the Savage 111 300 WM factory barreled action in a new Boyd's LA CF DBM walnut or laminated wood stock. All the other parts you saved will also fit. Pillar or glass bed the action and recoil lug to float the tang and barrel. I bet you will be suprised at how good that factory barrel will shoot. Bud's Gun Shop has one listed for $453.00 shipped to your FFL for comparison to your local dealer.

timtiminy
07-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm a bit confused as far as the 200 vs 111 actions go, aren't they identical design?
jpdown: Is the side bolt release lever only on the 111? I know actions have changed a bit over the years so would this be a newer option?

jpdown
07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
On current production the Stevens 200 LA and Savage 111 LA are almost identical. The Stevens 200 has a plain bolt body with Stevens logo. The Savage has a jeweled bolt body with Savage logo. Savage appears to be phasing out the side bolt release on newer CF models in favor of the trigger guard bolt release. On current production, I beleive only the Stevens 200 and the Savage 11/111 Hunter XP still have the side bolt release and non Accutrigger. The Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP has the trigger guard bolt release and Accutrigger.

If you want the Accutrigger, then it is cheaper to buy a new or used rifle with the Accutrigger rather than purchase a new or used rifle without the Accutrigger and then have to spend $100.00+ on a aftermarket trigger to replace the cheap factory tigger (4 to 6 lb pull) currently used on the Savage 111 Hunter XP, Stevens 200 and Axis models. For about $3.00-$5.00 you can purchase a Varmint Accutrigger spring from SSS or NSS that will allow you to adjust the pull weight on an Accutrigger down to about 1.5 lb for paper punching and up to 3 lb for hunting. Since the action hole spacing did not change on the Savage/Steven LA's, there is a wide selection of blind magazine and DBM/HFP Savage and aftermarket stocks that will work with either of these actions.

timtiminy
07-08-2013, 02:19 AM
Good to know info. I'm having a hard time finding 300wm locally, but I know my local Big5 stocks the 111 Hunter XP package in 7mm, if I'm not mistaken I believe the 7mm bolt face is the same as the 300wm so I could just rebarrel the 7mm to 300wm? So that could be an option...

jpdown
07-08-2013, 11:41 AM
With the premium bullet choices and high BC numbers, the 7mm might be a wise investment. The cheap Bushnell Sharpshooter scope on the Savage 11/111Hunter XP package won't last long under magnum recoil. So sell it as a new take-off on Ebay and invest the money in a good scope.

timtiminy
07-08-2013, 03:29 PM
$499 for the Savage 111 Hunter XP package, a bit more than I want to spend considering I will be losing the scope, stock and barrel...

jpdown
07-08-2013, 05:45 PM
$499 for the Savage 111 Hunter XP package, a bit more than I want to spend considering I will be losing the scope, stock and barrel...

I am not sure where you got quoted $499 for a Savage 111 Hunter XP rifle. That is not a good deal!

Bud's Gun Shop has a Savage 111 Hunter XP rifle available in 300 WM for $391.00 shipped to your FFL holder. I would sell the cheap Bushnell Sharpshooter scope for $50.00 on Ebay. But the biggest negative is you don't get an Accutrigger and the current factory non-Accutrigger is a cheap piece of crap. Add $25.00 to the price for transfer fee.

Bud's also has a Savage 11 (mislabeled) Trophy Hunter available in 300 WM for $453.00 shipped to your FFL holder. You could keep the Nikon BDC package scope (Prostaff version) or sell for about $100 on Ebay. So for only $60 extra you get the Accutrigger and a decent entry level Nikon scope. Add $25.00 to the price for transfer fee.

The factory 300 WM barrel and the stock on both rifles are the same. You can keep until you decide if you need to replace.

And while Bud's sells the Stevens 200 in 300 WM for around $357.00 shipped, it is not a better value when compared to the Savage Hunter XP, especially if you plan to part it out for the action to build on. Savage logo parts sell faster and for more money in my experience.

Get a can of Krylon silver Webbing paint and spray the factory stock and everyone will beleive you have a fancy custom stock. Glass bed the stock and recoil lug making sure the barrel and tang are free floated. You may be suprised how well it will shoot. But don't expect 1 hole sub MOA groups, because in my experience a 300 WM weighing under 9 lbs total is going to be difficult for most anyone to consistently shoot well.

timtiminy
07-10-2013, 12:52 AM
I wish I could find one in California (where I live... horrible I know.) As having one transferred from out of state ends up costing a decent amount since its extra for the FFL dealer to do a transfer from out of state and I have to pay California sales tax that I aready payed to have shipped here. so lets say I were to get a rifle for $400 from out of state it would cost $40 for transfer, another $35 for tax, plus cost of shipping which maybe costs $30 so thats an extra $70 over buying something in state. So a $400 rifle turns into a $470 one which for all the hassle isn't much cheaper than paying $499 for the one at Big5 right down the road.
California sucks lol
I wish there was an Academy in CA. I hear they sell the Stevens 200 for around $200

din
07-10-2013, 01:42 AM
If I could find an Academy that had a 200 for $200 I'd make a road trip. I don't know if they ship to California or not, but Davidson's gun genie thing lets you get quotes on a gun from dealers in your area; you still have to pay tax and a (usually) small fee for shipping or whatever, but no transfer fee. The 11 XP I just bought ended up costing $447 all in, which was only about $20 more than the best local price plus it has Davidson's lifetime warantee.

timtiminy
07-10-2013, 10:56 PM
I am in contact with someone out of state that will sell their Stevens 200 300wm for $300 shipped, would this be the best deal you all think I could get?

FW Conch
07-11-2013, 08:27 AM
If the rifle is in good condition, I doubt you can do much better "at this point in time"? Good Luck :)

timtiminy
07-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Well looks like I'll be getting a barely used Stevens 200 in .300 win mag for $275 shipped, I think I did pretty good! The local FFL I went to said its $65 for the transfer and DROS background check... Not really stoked on that but seems to be a tiny bit lower than what's normal in California.

derelict
08-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Will the Stevens action fit into a Savage stock? For example, on Stockys 110 through 116 centerfeed has a lot more listed than if I search under Stevens.

timtiminy
08-19-2013, 01:36 AM
Will the Stevens action fit into a Savage stock?
To my knowledge Stevens action is a Savage action, either long or short action, center feed not staggered, and have a round top on the back of the receiver like the accustock Savages. Hope that helps.

LHitchcox
08-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Just pay attention to the action screw spacing and order the correct one.