PDA

View Full Version : 308 brass preferences...

hershey
02-03-2010, 09:57 PM
just got done sorting about 2000 pieces of 308 brass by headstamp, in your opinion what is the best brass for precision work out of the common domestic brands. winchester, federal, lake city, remington, etc.

i went looking for 300pcs for plinking in a battle rifle, i am thinking that i am gonna use the federal, but want to make sure it should not play second fiddle to the lapua for precision work. i know i should be using the lake city, but i don't feel like setting up the swagger.

i kinda forgot what fun it is setting up the 550 from scratch, never loaded a large primer, larger powder bar combo before in it. i've kinda got spoiled popping the two pins and start pulling the handles. i debated doing it single stage, but i want to crimp, so that ended the debate. had to rob a drop tube out of another set, time to order a few more.

Smokepole
02-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I run LC in 223 and Winchester in 308. I like both. I like the LC for the 223 just because it's so much tougher; it's a mind thing I guess.

Uncle Jack
02-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I like:
Winchester..........large capacity, most velocity
Remington...........lesser capacity, stronger brass, lasts longer
Federal...............most consistant case capacity, best accuracy
Lake City............I don't use, I don't like fussing with primer pocket either.
Lapua................I don't use, I can't afford them for the little better accuracy
Norma................Ditto

uj

darkker
02-04-2010, 02:47 AM
In my FP, I can interchange Federal, hornady, Rem brass with the same results.
I don't like Winchester for accuracy. I like the LC stuff, for three reasons.
1) I get it free
2) very strong, long lived brass
3) Very accurate

btm_54
02-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I think I would go the LC option.
With the http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600
You only have to do it once. At least that's what I tell myself.

firemachine69
02-05-2010, 03:26 AM
My new brass is 100% Winchester for my .308, mind you, I may need to go snag that lonely 100 count of Lapua on the shelf of the local gun shop for $79.99. :D

learjet
02-05-2010, 07:56 AM
that dillion super swager is sweet! funny, i never use mine anymore however, ive stopped using my LC brass in favor or winchester. i bought my LC many years ago, and it was fired in a machine gun w sloppy headpsace. some of the cases are way blown out, and wont resize - i dont have a small base die though. anyways the LC was great accuracy wise, but the winnies just as accurate without all the hassles and case prep.

Blue Avenger
02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
used a lot of federal until I ran into primer pocket problems in the .223.
used a lot of Win until I ran int case separations last year.
using Rem now.
trying with the BHM the leo left laying around the range.
have a lot of LC for mass production .223 loads. nothing in .308

hershey
02-05-2010, 05:10 PM
that dillion super swager is sweet! funny, i never use mine anymore however, ive stopped using my LC brass in favor or winchester.

i've got one too, it just takes more time(one more step), one problem i found is once its been swaged, you need to put a mark (i use a sharpie) on it, otherwise you end up running it through again after you fire it because you are not sure...

i started using up the federal brass, got about 400 of this lot of bullets, hopefully i got that many federal cases. i will never buy flat based bullets again, unless that is the only thing the gun will shoot, i am so used to boattails, i forgot how clumsy i am.

rjtfroggy
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I use all Federal Match for the 308. A couple PD's that use our range use them and when they are done they box them up and leave for the taking.
They all use 223 and just leave it laying around, between the two I now have around 2200 loaded and ready to go.

~Ace~
02-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Lapua.... it's Only Expensive if you don't count how many times it can be loaded, and how much Most guns like it !

Galveston22
02-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Lapua is my favorite. I got rid of my last batch after 6 loading with a FL sizer die. No signs of failure but I wanted to be safe. Got a new batch of Lapua and am neck sizing these. I tried Winchester and Federal and both were giving my dented cases after sizing. I have never had a Lapua case dent.

brianinca
02-13-2010, 09:50 PM
>>>

trying with the BHM the leo left laying around the range.
>>>

BHM is Winchester, I called and asked. I had 100 rds of the 168 SMK, didn't shoot too well in my FP10 so I gave 60 rds to my buddy on the SO sniper team. He gave me the BHM brass and 200+ pieces of FGMM back. The BHM shot better in his Remmy but they have FGMM on the brain.

I weighed out 50 pieces of virgin Winchester 308 and once fired BHM. Smaller SD on the BHM almost identical avg case weight. Pretty funny.

The FC brass isn't my favorite, I put all the Barnes hunting loads in FC because I don't anticipate having many multiple reloads in the soft brass. I understand it lasts a long time, but the loose primer pockets bug me. I don't use Remington brass at all any more. The LC I have is good strong brass but I have to sort the cases. I like Winchester the best for 308 (and a BUNCH of other calibers).

Regards,
Brian in CA

dcloco
02-14-2010, 12:14 PM
I run LC. Good, tough brass that works.

You REALLY need to watch that you don't swap brass around, there is a HUGE difference in internal case volume, even within the same brand of brass.

Personally, I don't run the FC, the primer pockets loosen up after 3-4 firings, unfortunately.

JeepsAndGuns
02-15-2010, 08:56 PM
I too like FC brass. Good stuff. I had one box of 20 shells I got 21 loadings out of before they started showing signs of case head seperation. These were always neck sized, and annealed after every 4th fireing.

RP is also some good stuff, has worked almost as good as the FC.

winchester is my least favorite. Thin an brittle, does not last long.

I have picked up some lapua, but have yet to shoot it yet, so I can comment on them.

demented
02-15-2010, 09:49 PM
I've had good luck with Remington, Federal and Winchester. Until I ran out, I've been using BHM. In fact I need to find and buy a 100 BHM once fired to finish a load series I'm working on now. BH is made by Winchester as was mentioned but I've found it to be piece by piece a bit closer in weight than run of the mill WW