PDA

View Full Version : Swapping bolt groups

brasse
07-06-2013, 05:27 PM
I was going to assemble my 6.8 SPC barrel onto a Savage 16 that came in 223 short action 4.27 staggered feed. I have two of the SSS fluted bolts, one all set up with new firing pin and a PTG 6.8 bolt head. Nothing has ever been fired from this, except reusing the rear baffle and action screw.

Over the last 7 months waiting for my barrel ( next week I hope) it has been determined that the 308 center-feed magazine would feed the 6.8 round better (with some lip tweaking) than the staggered feed blind magazine.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor model 16 short action 4.4 inch that I will be taking the barrel off of, probably for a muzzle brake.

So is it acceptable to put my new SSS fluted bolt group into the former Creedmoor action?????

Yes I have all the Go/No go gages, I put the Shilen select match barrel onto the Creedmoor action. The rifle shoots great, I don't. I get the yips when I shoot it. It actually isn't the recoil foot pounds of impact, it is the speed of the recoil.

I am now shooting my savage 10TR in 308, I can shoot 40 rounds with no shoulder problems, as long as I have that great JP "Cooley" muzzle brake.

I just hate cutting into the beautiful bull barrel, it's Purdy. I Might have the Savage sporter creedmoor barrel threaded first, the Creedmoor is also a great hunting rifle with the right ammo.

stangfish
07-06-2013, 05:32 PM
If it fits and works use it. This is pretty common with only a few possible issues arising. Try it and see what happens.

teebirdhyzer
07-06-2013, 11:45 PM
should be just fine as long as: 1. it ejects the rounds you are wanting to use and 2. you set the headspace off of the bolt you will be using.

brasse
07-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks, I thought I would be easy. Always good to have others say the same

stangfish
07-06-2013, 11:59 PM
So where were we on the acculug not fitting the aftermarket stocks?

thomae
07-07-2013, 08:32 AM
The Accustock-style recoil lug question question has been addressed in a couple of different threads.