PDA

View Full Version : Need some help! Trigger problems with new Boyd's Stock

teebirdhyzer
07-06-2013, 12:15 AM
I have a Model 11 SA Staggered Feed in .223. It has been in a tupperware stock, and I got offered a heck of a deal on a Boyd's pepper laminate classic stock from a member on here. It arrived today and looks great, but my rifle would not drop in like I thought It should. the stock is for a SA SF (Same as my action), but for some reason there were small areas around the rear action screw, trigger group, etc. that I had to remove with a dremel. Well, after a couple hrs of work with the dremel today, I've got the stock and action fitting together. It's going to need to be bedded for sure, but that will be a next weekend job maybe. My question is this....when I turn the rear action screw the last half turn or so to snug it up, the accutrigger safety mechanism trips so that the trigger locks up. If I work the bolt it trips right back to being locked up and non functional. I've had this trouble with another of my model 10's in the past when inletting a stock for it, and it ended up being a little bit of wood somewhere that I just had to dremel out around the trigger group in the stock. I dont think there is anything on this stock touching anywhere. I've put it together without the trigger guard on and shined a flashlight up in there and nothing seems to be making contact where it is not supposed to be. I even put talc powder all over everything to check for contact and cannot find any at all. I'm only trying to torque the action screws to 30lbs, so if I stay at around 15 or 20, it doesn't cause this to happen. I have also tightened the accutrigger down a bit to rule out it being set too low, and that is also not the problem.

I'm at a loss and the only thing I can think of now is maybe If I bed the thing, it will raise the action up from the stock a bit and give me a little extra "space" between the stock and action and even everyting out to where perhaps the problem will just go away.

Anybody that has had this happen and worked through it let me hear what you did.

thanks!

stangfish
07-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Have you tried putting a washer under the trigger guard to shim it out a 1/16th or so. Sometimes when changing stocks the distance between the trigger guard and the action becomes short enough to cause clearance issues. Try a washer and see if that helps. If your bolt gets locked up because of the rear action screw that is another indicator of that distance being different than the original stock.

JW
07-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Does the stock have pillars installed?
If so, check the rear one to make sure the cutout on the front of the pillar is low enough. you might need to remove some more to give clearance for the sear.
If no pillars are installed, make sure there is enough wood removed in that area in front of the rear action screw.
Also, I have had to make the action screw holes larger before to line everything up
With the trigger group off, install the action, put rearward pressure on the barrel to make sure lug is all the way back and look in screw holes (stock) to see if the action screw holes are lined up.
Holding pressure against the lug, try to install each screw, if you can not, larger screw holes are in order.
If no success with this, I think I would bed the action to ensure that there is no strain on it when torqued
I hope this helps
(Sorry for the long post of things you probably already have done, just my 2 cents)
Thanks
Jack

teebirdhyzer
07-06-2013, 09:10 AM
thanks fellows.

stangfish.....I have run into the issue with locking bolt on another rifle, and the washer did fix that. I will try this and see if It may help out.

JW.....The stock does not have pillars. The front hole is more oblong or oval shaped and the rear is a regular looking round hole. When everything is tighened down, the front action screw is all the way at the rear of the oval, so there may in fact need to be a little more room and larger holes may help. I was also thinking that the action is getting in a "bind" so to speak. I will also try your tips today and see if I can get this thing going.

It's funny how after building quite a few Savages from the ground up, I thought I had most everything figured out, and then this little "drop in" stock whooped my butt yesterday!

FW Conch
07-06-2013, 03:34 PM
"bird" , put pillars in that thing ! ! :-)

teebirdhyzer
07-06-2013, 06:48 PM
"bird" , put pillars in that thing ! ! :-)
I'm just gonna glass bed it! don't really need pillars with a full bed job huh?

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys I got it today. The only part I had not relieved in the stock is a little part at the top of where the rear trigger guard screw comes in. That little rear pointing piece of the trigger group right underneath where the accutrigger adjustment screw is was hitting the wood right there when the stock was tightened all the way down. I dremeled about 1/16 or 1/8" of wood out and there ya go!

thomae
07-06-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm just gonna glass bed it! don't really need pillars with a full bed job huh? Actually, it could benefit a lot from pillars. Since you just got yourself a laminate stock, it is made of wood and epoxy. When you tighten the action screws you end up compressing the wood fibers.

With a pillar, your action sits against the pillar on one end and your action screw pushes into the other end, so you have metal-to-metal-to-metal contact all the way through and nothing compresses, so you can figure out your ideal torque value for your rifle/stock combination and then re-torque to the same value. Repeatability is what it's all about.

JW
07-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Glad you got it going your way
Jack