PDA

View Full Version : My July 4th has been great! Range trip at 300 yards

Joe L
07-04-2013, 10:54 AM
I had a "bad session" last Sunday with the Savage 10--couldn't shoot a 6" group at 300 yards on a calm day. I wasn't comfortable behind the gun. Last night I found the problem--my scope bubble level had gotten bumped and was off by 10 degrees or so. I re-leveled (and tightened!) the scope level, cleaned the bore for the first time in 200 rounds, checked the action screw and scope torques, and headed to the range.

Checked the zero at 100 yards on the first two magazines and then went out to 300 and made one more dial in correction on card 3 and then shot this 4 round group, which is still 0.1 mil low.

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Savage-Model-10/i-CJ36RGk/0/M/300%20yd%20half%20moa%207-4-13-M.jpg

This was from a mat prone using a bipod and a rear bag. Wind less than 3 mph. Obviously, the gun wasn't canted today and I was much more comfortable today when the scope was indicating the scope was level. Sunday was a newbie mistake. I should have noticed or at least checked for a bumped level after just a few rounds. I didn't. Won't do that again. I'm learning. Slowly.

Have a good July 4th, gentlemen. Make some noise, shoot up some ammo, but do it well. And thank God for the country we live in. I might even read my shirt pocket version of the US Constitution. I know some folks that should do the same.

Joe

eddiesindian
07-04-2013, 12:05 PM
great shooting joe!......
well said!

David13
07-04-2013, 07:16 PM
I was going to go to the range. But I also had 2 bbqs to go to. And then a change of plans.
However, I happened to just catch a friend, and had a good lunch in good company.
I have to say, it looks like you had some good shots for 300 yards. That is a good distance.
dc