PDA

View Full Version : Reading mirage…

single shot pop
07-04-2013, 01:57 AM
http://southtexasshooting.org/multimedia/text/mirage.html

I’m sure many of you understand the effects mirage plays in accurate shooting at long range. I came across this very interesting article while trying to educate myself more on the subject and thought many of you may find it as interesting as I did.

Enjoy, SSP

derbs
07-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Good read. Some of us local benchrest shooters have a 100yd indoor range we use for load development and tune to high zero and low 1's for groups. Take that combo outside with minimal wind and a good "boil" ,the results will have you shaking your head.

single shot pop
07-04-2013, 09:56 AM
“a 100yd indoor range!” What!!

Derbs that’s truly amazing, I’ve never heard of anyone having that kind of shooting facility available to them, simple incredible.

Mirage is such a difficult phenomenon to get a handle on and it’s a head scratcher for sure and that’s why I’m trying to find everything I can on the subject to be better able to judge & interpret what’s really going on.

Fascinating subject to me at least.

I’m glad you enjoyed the article,

Regards, SSP

derbs
07-04-2013, 01:39 PM
To help with reading mirage , you can build mirage boards from white coroplast with 1 1/2' black Duct tape equal spaced in the horizontal plane. All these materials are available @ Home Depot.

Our indoor range consists of a 500' converted "chicken house" with dedicated 50 and 100 yd. shooting lanes . We currently have 3 dedicated benches for each yardage with the ability to add one more. Great place to shoot no matter the weather outside.

single shot pop
07-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Hello derbs,

Good idea, I’ll do one up and see how it helps. I’ll get a handle on reading that wavy/boiling image yet!

I have an older 60x spotting scope which doesn't have the greatest glass/image and I'm thinking of upgrading to something better, what are the BR guys typically using?

I’m still so envious of your range, one can only dream to be so lucky!

SSP

derbs
07-04-2013, 02:53 PM
SSP

The short range BR shooters place a mirage board on both sides of their target and read conditions with their rifle scopes which range from 36x through 55x. Let me know if you get it figured out , there will be many of us all ears.

single shot pop
07-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Hey now derbs,

I said I want to get a better understanding/handle on the subject not teach a graduate course on mirage, ha-ha!

I do a lot of chuck hunting and the highest power scopes I use are 24x variables in the field and the BR crew are using 36x to 55x, wow! My spotting scope only has 5x more; you guys are in league all your own!

After I’m finished with my present 270 WSM Savage Target action pistol project I’m going to build an unlimited bench gun and join in on your FUN!

SSP

single shot pop
07-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Hey now derbs,

I said I want to get a better understanding/handle on the subject not teach a graduate course on mirage, ha-ha!

I do a lot of chuck hunting and the highest power scopes I use are 24x variables in the field and the BR crew are using 36x to 55x, wow! My spotting scope only has 5x more; you guys are in league all your own!

After I’m finished with my present 270 WSM Savage Target action pistol project I’m going to build an unlimited bench gun and join in on your FUN!

SSP

82boy
07-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Good read. Some of us local benchrest shooters have a 100yd indoor range we use for load development and tune to high zero and low 1's for groups. Take that combo outside with minimal wind and a good "boil" ,the results will have you shaking your head.

I would love to shoot in a indoor range, all I can say is don't get too comfy with this range. I know 3 shooters that have shoot a lot in the Houston Warehouse when that project was going on, and all of them have told me that what they did in the warehouse, and what they learned in there they could throw out the window when it came to shooting the in the outside environment.

82boy
07-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Just to add a few things to this conversation. Most Benchrest shooters do not use spotting scopes, as mentioned they usually have scopes with high magnification. (Most 36 to 45, but some up past 60 power.) Right now the most popular around these parts is 45 power Leopold's. many shoot 36 Weavers due to cost, and a few are shooting 50 power March. Some will add or send off these scopes and have the magnification boosted. In 600 yard Benchrest match's I shoot a 36 weaver, with a bulseye booster taking the magnification up to 44 power.

The article you have listed has a good definition of mirage, but it is a bit technical and hard to follow. A better reference to mirage can be found in Mike Rattigan's book which I highly recommend buying if you want to improve your accuracy. Another great book if you can find it is Warren Pages book, but it has been out of print since the mid 1980's Warren Page describes mirage as shooting through the swimming pool. If I had one book to recommend for a shooter to buy it would be my Friend Glen Newicks book, which can be bought for a couple of bucks on amazon. Both Glens, and Mikes books reference a lot of the material found in Warren Pages book.

Last bit of advice before you jump into Benchrest and watch a few match's, see the equipment used, read the NBRSA/IBS rule books. Most Benchrest shooters follow light varmint gun rules. (A light varmint gun can be shot in Heavy varmint, unlimited, and sporter, class's.) Not to correct you but an unlimited gun in Benchrest is considered a rail gun, or a cruiser weight bag gun. (Kind of similar to a heavy gun in 600/1000 yard Benchrest ) They are only shoot in a few match's like the nationals, and special events. If you need any help please don't hesitate to ask.

single shot pop
07-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Wonderful advice 82boy, thank you for the information and the kind offer of help!

I’ve been secretly observing (lurking on line, ha!) the bench rest guys for years and the rail guns fascinate me the most because of the precision machining/engineering that goes into building one.

I’m a builder not a buyer of completed guns that someone else created because building precision long range pistols/rifles is half the fun for me.

I’m not the competitive type so shooting in matches doesn’t hold that great of an interest for me only the act of precision shooting does. I enjoy hand loading and for working up new loads a rail gun with barrel clamping fixture would be ideal for testing new loads and breaking in new actions for use in the field.

Now all I have to do is find some land, dig a 100 yard trench, lay in a pre-cast concrete tunnel, back fill, plant some grass and I’m good to go!

Yeah right boy, just keep on dreaming son….hahah!

SSP

derbs
07-05-2013, 03:54 PM
If any members are interested in trying out our indoor range , send me a PM. I have been doing this indoor test and tune for 18 yrs. As pd06 says there is no guarantee that great performance indoors will equate to equal performance outdoors in conditions. One of our shooters recently shot a 250 25x agg. in registered IBS Score Competition.........he is only 12 yrs. old and has been featured on other sites the past few weeks.

Stockrex
07-05-2013, 04:08 PM
“a 100yd indoor range!” What!!

Derbs that’s truly amazing, I’ve never heard of anyone having that kind of shooting facility available to them, simple incredible.

Mirage is such a difficult phenomenon to get a handle on and it’s a head scratcher for sure and that’s why I’m trying to find everything I can on the subject to be better able to judge & interpret what’s really going on.

Fascinating subject to me at least.

I’m glad you enjoyed the article,

Regards, SSP
In Michigan in Bays City (spelling?) I think they have a 400 yrd INDOOR shooting range! ;-)

single shot pop
07-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Stockrex, here you go…

Not quite 400 yards but 200 will do just fine!

http://duncansoutdoor.com/ranges/

I’m getting depressed guys…

SSP

limige
07-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Yep duncans is great but the oriental kid doesnt seem to like target shooters or people adjusting their own scopes.

Stockrex
07-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Someday after I recoup from the divorce I will have an underground 50 yard range.
it is too loud under any kind of cover for me. I double up but even then my ears ring when I shoot next to a m1a during nra high power.
I have check out bay city Duncan shooting. Range someday