PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Savage 72

Pages : 1 [2]

plinkin
08-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Yep that was the one I was looking at.

Ithacabuff
12-16-2013, 10:47 PM
I am a lover of the modern line of Favorite type rifles...meaning the 71 commemorative, the 72, 74 and the 30 series. I see a lot of posts that allege guns on the internet sites are overpriced. However, if someone is paying that price than that is what it is worth. I say this because of the fact that, I have purchase several 72s in the last three years to give to great nephews and great nieces. I have never gotten one for less than around $260 and paid up to about $300. So, in my opinion...if you can get a nice one for $199 that is a bargain. I have come to know some facts about these modern Favorite line of rifles so will talk a bit if I may be long-winded. The Model 71 Stevens Favorite commemorative was so popular, according to Savage literature, that people begged the company to make a field grade model. So, in 1972 they came out with the Model 72 which has an octagon barrel, real walnut wood, and a case-hardened receiver. It was made until about 1989 when Savage went bankrupt. I have owned two 72s which must have been late, late in the run and made with economy of manufacture in mind. These copies had blued receivers, not case-hardened, and the lever was perhaps not steel but a non-ferrous metal that was brown colored by some process. They still were attractive and had walnut wood. I have a nephew whose two kids I gave 72s to. This interested the nephew in buying one himself from an old gentleman who had owned many of them and loved them. He said they are nice little rifles but may be somewhat prone to broken firing pins. (However, I have seen that Numrich has plenty of replacements in stock for under $20 each.) Now, be aware that the 72, while it looks like the original Favorite does not have interchangeable parts with the original Favorite. When Savage started making the 72 they also made the Model 74 which was an economy version of the 72...the 74 has a round barrel, a blued receiver, and non-walnut wood. Savage marketed the 72 as "a deluxe version of the 74." But the 74 apparently had little demand as it was dropped after two years. Then, as most of you know after the Savage Company went bankrupt in 1989 certain rights were purchased by another group that became the new Savage Company. That company eventually made the Savage Stevens Favorite Model 30 from around 1999 to around 2010 but that is another story.
Late note: I should add that the Savage company named the Model 72 the Crackshot and the Model 74 the Little Favorite....however, while those names are listed in the Savage catalogs and in Gun Digest of the time the names are not on the firearms...just the respective model numbers.

chrisheile
12-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks Ithaca. Last I looked, I could not find firing pins. I guess I need to search again.

chrisheile
12-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Is this it http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAVAGE-71-72-74-FIRING-PIN-EB-627-/370948181932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565e3c0fac

Ithacabuff
12-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Yes, that would be it and Numrich has them also. I think Numrich price is 17.50 plus shipping so you figure out which is cheapest.

wildcat hunter
01-16-2014, 07:45 PM
I bought a "72" for each of my 5 kids when they were young. I paid $98.00 for some and as the years got up there I paid a bit more for the last ones ( about $150.00 ), all octagon barrels. My daughter "lost" hers ( sold it I think! ) but the 4 boys still have theirs. One boy had to replace the "bent firing pin but other than that they are all shooting fine.