PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 200 trigger woes

Blitzfike
07-02-2013, 01:16 PM
I built a long range rifle in 300 win mag on a Savage 200. It came from the factory in 300 win mag, but I re barreled it with a heavy stainless barrel with a JP Tank Brake. Boy talk about recoil reduction.. The factory trigger feels like about 20 pounds. When I took the action out to adjust the trigger I found it to be a much simplified trigger without much adjustment capability.
I called Jim at Northland and ordered a Rifle Basix Sav2 to replace it with, and about 5 minutes after completing the order he called me back to advise me that the newer Stevens 200 actions have been changed enough that the Rifle Basix triggers aren't a drop in fit. They do plan to have an offering for this action in the near future. I really appreciate vendors who are interested in customer satisfaction and are willing to halt a sale to avoid problems. I will be ordering from him when the newer style trigger assembly is available. Has anyone successfully reworked this newer Stevens 200 trigger? Blitzfike

Jeg181420
07-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I built a long range rifle in 300 win mag on a Savage 200. It came from the factory in 300 win mag, but I re barreled it with a heavy stainless barrel with a JP Tank Brake. Boy talk about recoil reduction.. The factory trigger feels like about 20 pounds. When I took the action out to adjust the trigger I found it to be a much simplified trigger without much adjustment capability.
I called Jim at Northland and ordered a Rifle Basix Sav2 to replace it with, and about 5 minutes after completing the order he called me back to advise me that the newer Stevens 200 actions have been changed enough that the Rifle Basix triggers aren't a drop in fit. They do plan to have an offering for this action in the near future. I really appreciate vendors who are interested in customer satisfaction and are willing to halt a sale to avoid problems. I will be ordering from him when the newer style trigger assembly is available. Has anyone successfully reworked this newer Stevens 200 trigger? Blitzfike

I have a Stevens 200 and both a Rifle Basix Sav-1 and Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger fit fine without any modification. Never tried The Sav-2 though. I ditched the Sav-1 and use the SSS trigger in all my Savages. Very nice trigger IMO

Blitzfike
07-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Jim indicated to me that the newest Stevens 200s had a change in the trigger and the older triggers wont fit. Taking it apart, I found that the factory never threaded the trigger return spring into the trigger. I cleaned out the thread locker from the hole, threaded it in and got a reasonable trigger pull. I still want to change the trigger. I have heard horror stories about tight barrel nuts and on this one I found one. When I finally got the barrel off, there was a tremendous amount of fine steel shot in the threads. My guess is that they were bead blasting and left lots of fine beads in the threads.

northlander
07-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Just to clarify, the Rifle Basix Sav-2 Trigger does fit it's the Sav-1 Triggers that are being updated to work with the newest style Stevens Rifles. The price difference between the model 1 and the model 2 can be noticeable and have a definite bearing on a lesser expensive build. I will post an update when Rifle Basix has the model 1 trigger modified for the newer Stevens rifles.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Blitzfike
07-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks Jim

JWW123
07-05-2013, 02:36 PM
i asume the trigger you are talking about is the one with the coil spring might want to check out axis spring modifications hope this helps