PDA

View Full Version : Hi All, And New (to me) 110

Silvercrow1
07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
In about three short weeks I'll be 57 years young, and just to prove to myself that it's never too late to start (or re-start) something new, I have purchased a used .223 Mod. 110, with the "Tupperware" stock and the varmint contour barrel. I've been a handgun guy since my teens; have done alright with rifles over the years, but never really "got into" them in a big way. Shot handgun comp. (and won) during my law enforcement days.

Then I meet a guy and we become fast friends. (His wife and mine even get along well..go figure!) He's big time into LR shooting and has excellent equipment. So earlier this year I bought a non-Savage .17 HMR, and starting having a ball. THEN, I bought a Ruger American in .270. Not to bash, but I had problems from the "get-go" with that one. Traded it in on a Savage MKII in .22LR, nice walnut thumbhole stock, beautiful bluing etc. I was SO impressed with the fit, finish and accuracy, I started doing a search for a centerfire Savage. So here I am today.

I like to target shoot and hunt them wascally var-mints. Not a big game hunter, but there is something about thinking of long shots on varmints that keeps me awake at night.

My new Savage has the 3 screw trigger that the previous owner tweaked to be perfect for me. Don't have a gauge but it breaks crisp like glass, I'm guessing around 2-2.5 lbs. I've been studying and studying and when money allows, I'm gonna get an aftermarket stock, tactical bolt handle and probably some other goodies. First things first though:

I literally read through posts in the 110 section starting at page one..now on page 78. Along the was I saw a post about stiffening up the Tupperware OEM stock, but cant find it again. Maybe I'm using the wrong words in the search? Any help would be 'preciated!

I'm saving for good glass, but in the meantime I was at a local Dick's yesterday just to talk to my new "friend" in the lodge. There was a 4-12x40 Nikon Prostaff BDC with a sticker of $199.00 on it. Turns out my friend Jason did not have any in stock- only the display. AND smack grandmaw on the butt, slam the door and call me late for supper, that darn thing was clearance priced at $129.00!! Perfect condition. As I said to my lovely wife "What could I do..? What could I do?!" Before I knew it the thing was in a bag, I was headed out the door and Jason solidified our budding friendship. Not the glass I want BUT at least I don't have to switch out with the .17 HMR or the .22LR. I have the Nikon Prostaff 150 BDC on my Savage MkII and I LIKE it, but I want to get a Vortex Viper for the .223 after I save money (=F-o-r-e-v-e-r).

Anyway- I'm excited to get started and wanted to share my joy. Sorry so long and probably boring for all you Savage veterans out there. And yes, I'll post some pics. I have to blow the dust offa my Photobucket account.

Thanks and ANY suggestions, comments, criticisms (be nice now..fragile male ego here) are welcome.

Brian (Soon to be Whistle-Pig Sniper)

Maztech89
07-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Great to have you on board, and welcome! Sounds like you are heading down the right track for sure. You said it yourself, you are now hooked and may as well start hoarding savage parts. They get addicting fast! As for your scope, it will work for now until you get that Vortex then you will really be happy. I have a handfull of sub $150 scopes that have helped kill many animals just as dead as an "outta my price range scope." I have a few good ones, but heck I had a $28 Simmons 3-9 hold up to nearly 1k 30-06 rounds before it lost its guts.

I love varmint hunting, there is something about headless groundhogs that makes me giggle and hearing the thwack of the bullet is an awesome sound.

As for reinforcing a Tupperware stock, all I did to one of mine was cut/grind out the "braces" down the forearm and place a 3/16" all thread rod down into the groove I made and covered it with epoxy. I can now twist all around on my bipod and not get any barrel contact, but I also opened barrel channel a bit. I also epoxied an 1/8" steel plate to the sides of the stock in magazine cutout to greatly reduce the flex I was getting there too.

Are you handloading or shooting factory ammo?

SlimySquirrel
07-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Hey Brian,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are many fine people on here who have a wealth of knowledge and are happy to help out.

Sounds like a fine choice for what you are doing, I reckon the .223 is hard to beat as a good steady and fun rifle as it's cheap to Buy or Re-Load for.

That scope will do you fine, just be sure to check out Nikons Ballistic programme so you can have a hold over chart for those naughty Whistle Pigs. (Be sure also to set the power on the setting you have your chart calibrated for)
If you fancy smoothing the throw a bit sss and ptg have some nice add ons for the bolt, choate do a decent stock upgrade if you are not walking much, but if you are I would check out the Boyds Feather Weight Thumbhole stock, really nice and shoulders very well. (Many others also)

There are plenty of bits and pieces to be added if you so wish, heck you could even get your barrel fluted if you want to go with the weight saving/faster cooling option.. Many many things that can be done (All within the right time frame/budget allowance).

Not sure what twist your barrel is but mine (1-9) loves the federal 50grain tipped ammo and they do just fine for most things out to a good distance. (We even tapped a good sized Goat at near on 600Yds with them)

Good luck with your Varmint busting... I love nothing better than a day behind the trigger Disciplining Vermin.

Slimy

big honkin jeep
07-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Welcome aboard,
Just be very careful and choose your shots wisely using such an underpowered and anemic cartridge on those varmints. I'd hate to read about all the bandaids your wife had to stick on you after a nearly fatal charge from one of the big bulls. If you look around the classifieds, I'm sure you can find the parts you need to convert to the latest magnum chambering.
Have fun :)

wbm
07-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Welcome!
Have the Nikon you have and have had the Viper(traded it)....I like the Nikon better. Go figure!?

Silvercrow1
07-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks you guys! Thanks Maztech- I'm gonna do that mod to the stock. Seems like a good fix. I guess I can use some JB Weld for the epoxy- I bought some through work and it works well for my home projects. I also remember reading where a guy used expandable foam somehow in the stock behind the action- just to have a firmer feel and "sound". The gun is already heavy- not planning on walking with it more than I have to. I WANT to get into reloading and my buddy says he'll help me get started. Meanwhile I'm buying ammo WHEN I can find it. Got about 500 rounds so far- 60 of the Remington UPC FMJ, 300 of the Federal "Value Pack" 55 grain FMJ, 40 of the Winchester hollowpoints, and about 60 TulAmmo (Yikes!). And yah, I don't guess the enemy cares much what kinda scope I have..then again..maybe they do..

SlimySquirrel- mine is a 1:9 also. I've used the Nikon Spot-On for my MK II with the Nikon ProStaff Rimfire BDC. Amazing it works really well-out to 100 yards which I figure is the max for my .22LR anyway. Man I'd love to make a 600 yard shot / kill. That's my goal; to be able to accurately and humanely kill the enemy..er..varmints at long distances. (I watch Mr ChuckHunter videos on YouTube all the time- regularly makes clean kills 300-400 yards on Rock Chucks and such.

Big Honkin'- LOL, I was telling the grandkids silly stories about "dangerous" squirrels and Starlings I've overtaken singlehandedly with my Mk II! When I bought the .270 my buddy- the LR shooter asked what I was gonna use it for and I said Varmints and Predators. He says "Uh-Huuuh.." I said well you got that .260 and you use that. He patiently educated me. Did I mention I am not well versed in rifle calibers? I figured he's got a .260 custom and I was banging steel plates at 500 yards first time he let me shoot it. (20" plates I estimate). 'Course he's got a Schpank & Spender (Schmidt&Bender) (Spank the bank account, that is..) scope and his rifle set-up cost more than my whole firearms collection.

WBM- I really like the Nikons! I've used a Schmidt and Bender and a US Optics- no doubt superior glass. BUT my Nikons are clear and accurate for what I'm doing. I never actually used a Vortex, but the Viper I checked out was awesome and eventually I want to get a high end scope of some sort. I'll NEVER spend a grand or more on glass-not unless I hit the Lotto or some rich, unknown relative dies and leaves me wealthy ;>)-

CAN'T WAIT TO DIG IN WITH THIS GUN!
Brian

SlimySquirrel
07-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Schpank & Spender... absolute gold right there!

Very good, you sound like you are on the money with what you need... I made that 600 yd hit with a Buckmaster on 18X and it was convincing, not entirely ethical shooting I agree but we were culling ferals and any that were wounded were quickly dispatched by the 338LM to my right or we zapped over on the Quads and the .223 was used at close range.

Having said that, a Sightron III has just been purchased so I can see clearly where I am shooting (Missing) and place the shots with more confidence.

260 you say?.... should just be enough for squirrels. I'd limit myself to under 100yds... they can be tough little suckers..

Silvercrow1
07-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I made that 600 yd hit with a Buckmaster on 18X and it was convincing, not entirely ethical shooting I agree but we were culling ferals and any that were wounded were quickly dispatched by the 338LM to my right or we zapped over on the Quads and the .223 was used at close range.

Having said that, a Sightron III has just been purchased so I can see clearly where I am shooting (Missing) and place the shots with more confidence.

260 you say?.... should just be enough for squirrels. I'd limit myself to under 100yds... they can be tough little suckers..

ROFLMAO! Who was it said "Bring enough gun.." ? Didn't mean anything disparaging about your 600 yard shot. Not at all! My experience in riflery is US Army M-16 qualification, 300 yards open sights, shooting a FULL sized hit-reactive silhouette. Not exactly precision shooting. I did qualify "expert" but I'm a realist- there are some excellent shots on this board and aforementioned YouTube star. My buddy- name is Kedron BTW- shoots regularly 600 to 800 yards in his competitions and does very well. I am doing sub MOA at 100 yards with the .17 HMR, and sub MOA at 50 yards with the .22LR BUT that's "next door" compared to 400 + yard shooters.

In anything do, I try to learn all I can and do my best. This is gonna be a great thing for me. I have had serious "health related" (me-related) problems over the past six years and the good Lord saw fit to allow me a second chance. I always "Go for it" when trying to do things..now I "go for it" with a vengeance.

Seriously, all that I know I've learned from Kedron and THE GUYS ON THIS SITE! I've got a Loooong way to go and for me, the fun is in the journey.

Brian

SlimySquirrel
07-03-2013, 07:03 AM
ROFLMAO! Who was it said "Bring enough gun.." ? Didn't mean anything disparaging about your 600 yard shot.

I know! It's all good, think I was thinking aloud!

I reckon you're gonna be having some fun and getting yourself hooked a little on these darn things... Doesn't take much before you want longer shots.. someone said that to me and I laughed at him... *Blushes* ..

Mentioning youtube check out Doc watson .. he has some great vids on long range culling, he is one of the Guys I shoot with and he really knows his stuff... Currently showing how a stock rifle can shoot with decent handloads..

Silvercrow1
07-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the Doc. Watson tip. I love watching these guys- often learn stuff too! Yeah- I have no doubt that this Savage thing will become another obsession...:cool: