PDA

View Full Version : What Optics for 110S silhouette

EvanB
07-01-2013, 03:20 PM
After literally years of wanting to replace my old 110S rifle, I have finally found and bought one. Missed a couple but now have one enroute. I also missed a 110V in .223 recently. I didnt know they came in anything other than .22-250 and Id have loved getting that one even if it had been rebarrelled.

So, question of the day is; "what glass are any of you using for silhouette" on your 110S or other .308 silhouette rifle? Also, would it be feasible to consider rebarreling my 110S in .223? Bolt face and other concerns make me sceptical.

TOP PREDATOR
07-07-2013, 09:54 AM
it's hard to beat a fine crosshair or fine crosshair with target dot on any silhouette rifle.

complimented with target turrets for adjustments, side or adj. obj. and it's a winning combo.

a good one on the lower price scale is the nikon buckmaster, on the higher scale is leopold, with weaver being in the middle.

if a dedicated silhouette rifle setup, you may want to consider mounting the scope "canted" to match your stance, so when in your stance, the reticle looks straight. that'll help with elevation adjustments without any windage adjustments, and be a point of reference to let you know your stance is consistant.

side note i had a 110 v in .223, i sold it, i shouldn't have. probably the most accurate rifle i ever had, or ever will have. something is telling me it had a 26" barrel, at the time it was nasty to carry for wood chucks and such, that was my pre-competition era. now i'd wish i had that back. i was running 40 gr vmax varmint express through it, it shot like a laser. you may realize though that turkey and ram are going to be tough to get good solid knock over hits with a .223, so if your S is going to be your silhouette rifle, you may be better off just keeping it .308. .243 being about as light as you should go if you want to rebarrel, maybe even 7-08, .260, and other .308 knecked down stuff. then bolt face isn't an issue.

EvanB
07-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the input. My Old 110S in .308 that I bought new carried a Leupold VXIII 6.5x20. I bought that scope brand new out of Shotgun news for $99. Should have bought a dozen. I never took it off the rifle but I didnt shoot Silhouette either. It was what I called a poor mans sniper rifle.

I actually just missed a 110V in .223 about 2 months back. It sold for $400. And the guy who bought it was rebarreling it to shoot .221 fireball. I got started on Prairie Dogs several years back and wanted a .223 Bolt gun to back up my AR's. I bought a CZ Varminter in .223 a week before I saw the 110V.
I plan on seeing if Savage will give me a 110V .223 matching barrel and convert my .308. If Not, i like .308's too.