PDA

View Full Version : Go Gauge Help Please

hnts4fun
07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
I need a go gauge for 7mm Remington mag, is this the one?

PTG Headspace Go Gage Belted Magnums, 300 Winchester Magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum, 338 Winchester Magnum, 458 Winchester Magnum (.535" Base)

The variety of cartridges this gauge accomodates confuses me.

Thank you

stangfish
07-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Why does it confuse you? If you read up on the subject matter you will find that belted magnums are all headspace the same way. I am not intending to be condesending about it but if you are taking on the task of headspacing then you need to understand what it is your dealing with. Google headspacing and reloading for belted magnums. It is much different way of checking headspace on non belted cartridges.

thomae
07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
The different cartridges mentioned are all based on the same diameter case and they all headspace off the belt at the base of the cartridge. That is why that gauge can be used for many different cartridges like that.

hnts4fun
07-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Thank you both. Stangfish you are right. I am most familiar with '06 based cartridges and I am becoming marginally conversant about 6.5 mm cartridges. I was lazy and went for the quick fix. Thanks for the info but I could have put more effort into it.

I did, however, post that cheek piece pic so you could post the pure cheese quip. "Well there you have it. Accuracy on a shoestri... Rubberband."

:)

stangfish
07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Hnts4fun, ...it is just plain good advice to really investigate this process thuroughly. You got your start here and that is a good thing. The opinions on forums will not allways be as informative as you would like. Thomae is dead on and I intentionaly did not state that information. My point was as however simple this process is to those of us who have done it a hundred or more times, for someone with less experience it is my opinion that you be exhaustive in your search for technical type article based information. You will find that the tolerences of the barrel headspace at the "belt" should be held tight and that most magnum chambers are long to the "shoulder". This has an effect on sizing and if not done correctly can have several outcomes. Not any good and not all of them catastrophic.

BillPa
07-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I was lazy and went for the quick fix. Thanks for the info but I could have put more effort into it.

You might find this informative. http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm?page=CC

Bill

hnts4fun
07-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks Bill,

Great thread!