PDA

View Full Version : Re: Dry Firing?

3fingervic
02-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I have a new 110, and wanted to know if it was ok to dry fire this gun? I want to do some practicing, and wanted to know if I need to buy Snap Caps?

steveinwv
02-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I have dry fired every gun I have ever owned and never had a failure. Worse case scenario your out a few bucks for a firing pin, and that isn't likely to ever happen. I don't lose a minutes sleep over doing it, but I'll guarantee loads of people think it's nearly unforgiveable.

3fingervic
02-02-2010, 09:46 PM
I've heard that it was a bad practice about 15 years back. Lately, people are saying it's fine. I'll go with your suggestion, thanks.

82boy
02-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Most problems people have with dryfiring guns is with rimfires. It takes a lot of dry firing to hurt a centerfire Savage, more than your likle to do.

BillPa
02-02-2010, 11:06 PM
I've heard that it was a bad practice about 15 years back. Lately, people are saying it's fine. I'll go with your suggestion, thanks.

A lot of old firing pins, especially side by side scatterguns had cast pins, they were/are brittle and at times would break from dry firing, mostly were the fear of dry firing came from. Today most all pins are machined steel and not a problem.

Bill

geargrinder
02-02-2010, 11:16 PM
I've had one of the large hole cross pins break from dry firing.

Now I use the smaller firing pin and cross pin with the smaller hole.

Dirk
02-03-2010, 08:38 AM
I've had one of the large hole cross pins break from dry firing.

Now I use the smaller firing pin and cross pin with the smaller hole.

It really wasn't the dry firing that caused that cross pin to fail. It was a defective part. It would have failed at some point anyway.

BTW, The quote "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."
-German A. Salazar is entirely wrong. BC's are DEPENDANT on velocity, therefore are NOT forever. Either you quoted the guy wrong, or he is wrong, but that statement is untrue.

#1oneshot
02-03-2010, 09:04 AM
An old case with primer removed,$0, a pencil eraser,$.10, super glue,$1, peace of mind Priceless

Smokepole
02-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Not a big deal on a Savage centerfire, especially ones w the smaller firing pin. A lot of the issue arose from rimfires. Most allow the firing pin to smack the back of the chamber/barrel while dryfiring. If done enough, it'll break the pin or batter up that edge of the chamber. And I think some early centerfire stuff didn't have real good firing pin stops incorporated into their design. But, most modern centerfires were designed w a proper stop in mind. If things are out of adjustment, it's possible to break the cocking piece or button in the case of the Savage. But, if things are out of adjustment, they need adjusted. ;D