PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Triggers

300magman
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I am really wanting to built a couple of precision rifles on savage actions, but I just can't pull the trigger (no pun intended) because I don't think there are any triggers out there that I will like.

The factory varmint/tactical accutrigger looks good (or at least ok) to me for the most part, but I don't particularly like the idea of having that blade in the middle and I hear that it can cause some issues (though minor) and I've heard that it is not a great target rifle trigger.

The only other options I know of are the sharp shooter evolution trigger and the sharp shooter competition trigger. The first of which appears to be more of a dedicated benchrest trigger with a pull of only ounces, and I'm not sure if it even has a safety (I'm sure someone here knows). The second has a pull range of approximately 2lbs to 12ounces, and uses the factory safety.

The factory safety or something similar is great for me, but being a switch barrel rifle of several uses there will be times when I will want a very light trigger pull, and times when hunting in harsh weather with frozen/glove fingers that I will want a trigger with a more deliverate 3lb + pull.
A fully stainless trigger would also be fantastic for those long back country hunting trips in foul weather, and for my occasional lazyness or busy schedule which can mean a gun doesn't always get a full on cleaning immediately after every outing.

I've seen the jewel trigger, and it sounds almost too good to be true, but everything I've heard about it seems to describe it as every bit as good as it sounds...One Problem - it doesn't work on a savage. And for largely this reason I am thinking of totally blowing my budget and building off of a custom action.

Can anyone suggest a reason why I might want to take another look at savage...its Really what I wanted, if only I thought there was a trigger that would make me happy.

Smokepole
02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Timney offers a trigger, and Rifle Basix offers two triggers. I was well pleased w the SAV-2 Rifle Basix trigger. It could be set very low. The quality of manufacture wasn't that great on it though. The parts looked investment cast or MIM rather than the advertised EDM cut. It worked good though. I prefer the stock Savage 3 screw type for my needs. It can get down to 2-1/2lbs to 3lbs safely.

If the trigger setup on the Savage really turns you off (as it does me), a look at the Howa 1500 line has proven a good choice for me. Their trigger assembly is much more modular like a Rem 700 and there are aftermarket options for it as well. Price is better than a comparable Savage IMO.

82boy
02-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I think that you would be completely happy with the SSS competition trigger. I am willing to bet you would be surprised how light they are. In a T&T action it is possible to get lower weights out of them, I have one that breaks at 8oz. The other option is the Rifle basix sav 2, though most claim it doesn't feel as nice as the SSS, it does have a bit more range of adjustment. (4oz.-3.0lbs.) The SSS evolution trigger uses no safety and is designed for competition use. SSS use to have another trigger available, but it is no match for their competition or evolution trigger.

Jewel did make a handful of trigger for the Savage, but it never worked out. The original plan was they would make them and sell them only through SSS. Jewel backed out when Savage came out with the "target accu-trigger." The Jewel trigger is a nice piece and is super complicated, and has a ton of parts, (also had a super price tag) but at its best it would only go down to 3 oz. Jewel is a popular trigger for Remington's, and they offer different configurations, but nothing that can not be accomplished with a Savage and SSS triggers.

The accu-trigger is not a bad design for a factory trigger, I have learned to appreciate it more with use. Some people remove the center blade, and I don't think that it is a great idea. The accu-trigger by design is a rugged lower weight trigger, and works well.

300magman
02-02-2010, 05:34 PM
About removing the blade in the accutrigger....doesn't that open up the possibility of a dropped or banged rifle accidentally firing while on Safe? If a bad idea for another reason, I would appreciate knowing that one as well.

Just one thing to note though, I've never used a trigger under 6ounces, and I was happy with it...I'm not primarily concerned with getting a super light trigger. I am after a Safe trigger that can go fairly light but also be set to 3lbs or a bit more. And anything that Really resists rust is a HUGE plus as well.

beradon
02-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Whats the problem? Just buy an Accutrigger Savage.

82boy
02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't know if a accu-trigger would go off with the blade removed and the gun on safety, never tried it, but my thinking about how the parts intermingle would be no it would not go off. The problem with removing the blade is when the trigger is set to lower settings and when closing the bolt it could slam fire.

Many people have used the SSS competition trigger as a hunting trigger and I have never heard of anyone having a problem with it. A test that Fred use to do to prove this was with the trigger set at its lowest setting, he would drop the gun on the but, for a distance of a few feet. What happens is the Safety will slide back, and the gun is still cocked. When you would slide the safety off the trigger would remain cocked until you pulled the trigger. As far as rust or corrosion I don't know you would have to talk to Fred about that, but the only parts that would would be the side plates and the trigger finger, the rest is stainless. Even stainless will rust under the right conditions.

Uncle Jack
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Although most of us "tune" triggers by polishing sears, lightening springs, and adjusting engagements, I think that deliberately removing a factory safety factor like the Accutrigger blade would leave you extremely vulnerable to liability issues if you should ever have an accidental discharge.

There are savage, screaming liberal, New York tort attorneys lurking everywhere out there.

uj

BobT
02-03-2010, 03:46 AM
I have not used the SSS trigger (yet) but the Rifle Basix SAV-2 will do what you want it to, it's not a Jewell but still a pretty nice trigger. My accu-trigger guns were not that bad, I spent deer season hunting with one and didn't feel disadvantaged at all it was just a little mushy for my taste, I later replaced it with a RB SAV-2 and it was a really nice improvement.

Bob

Whelen Man
02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Just yesterday I installed the third Rifle Basix Sav 2 trigger that I've bought in a new build. I've had no complaints with the previous two and this one is the same. I look for a 10-12 ounce trigger and this one delivers without a lot of fuss. It would be adjusted much lighter but this is what I desired. It breaks clean at 10 ounces with the fulcrum in the middle position (not the lighter pull position) and is safe to all tests. This one had a little creep when installed but I found it to be caused by a slight contact of the sear pin on the left side of the stock and not the trigger itself. A slight trim with a pocketknife cured that. They can be installed yourself if you understand triggers and are a little mechanical.

RWO
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
The target Accutrigger on my paper puncher goes down to 8 oz. reliably and feels good to me. The blade makes it completely safe against jar-off or dropping the gun.

RWO

kkeene
02-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Best advice is to find someone in your area and try the stock trigger. I am a varmint hunter, shoot out to 800 yards, and I like them. I have 3 accutriggers (from the model 12 line with advertised 1.5 lb trigger). My triggers consistently break in the range of 1.25 to 1.7 lbs at the lowest setting, depending on the rifle. They are consistent in weight, but they do not all adjust down to the same level. These 1.5 lb triggers will not cut the mustard in a benchrest match but for an overall factory trigger they are very good. I don't even notice the blade when shooting. I assume that I would really like the target action 8 oz triggers but I don't plan changing out all of my hardware anytime soon.

Keith