PDA

View Full Version : 17 WSM Ammo Alert

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Poor Shot
07-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Found .17wsm ammo at Cabelas at about 17:15 today. At least I think I did. It calls it ".17 Winchester Short Magnum" in places. Also has picture of 20gr. 3000fps cartridge box on page and describes 20gr cartridge. I ordered 10 boxes at $16.99 and the completed order that I printed off calls it "17wsm 25gr tipped". I don't really know what I will get but at least I'm trying. I found it at this web page:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1660059&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=064b568ebe5360c9c0d7d45e4d10dc11&destination=/

Monkeymaster
07-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Poor Shot,
Thank you for the information, and especially the link.
I ordered 4 boxes, and it was just like you said it was, 20 grain on the box, 25 grain tipped on the order form.
I recieved a confirmation number, so, I think I will be getting some.
Also, Please note.
I have checked in Cabelas web site every day except Sunday, typed in IK-218742 for this ammunition, and I get either out of stock no back order, or I get a "that number is no longer available".
I even typed it in the Cabela's search box, with the ammunition and order quantity on the screen tonight, and I got "that number is no longer available".
I am not sure what is going on with all of that, but use the link Poor Shot provided guys.
Thanks again Poor Shot.

Monkeymaster
07-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Plinkin,
Thanks, but I think Poor Shot has gotten me a link into Cabelas on some ammo.
Also, FYI
You stated that you were notified for the ammo from Midway. That is good.
However, I have all three 17 wsm rounds that Midway has on their site on my wish list, and on the "to notify me" list, and I have not been notified.
I also had some .308 150 grain hornady spt on the same list, and was never notified for those either.
I called midway today, and they confirmed that my account has those 4 items in my wish list and to be notified list.
They could not however, explain why I was NOT notified on either the 2, that they got back in stock, then out of stock on.
Also
Midway also automatically changed my quantitiy on some Fiocchi 223 ammo last spring from 2 - 200 round ammo cans to 1 - 200 round can.
I even vented on the Savage Shooters site about that one, and how I felt the rules of the gsme were being changed as we played it.
Sour grapes maybe, but I will stand by what I said, If I did my job, and provided the quality of customer service that I have been getting the last 6 to 8 months, I would be fired from my job.
Now, having said that, up to that point, I had very good results with Midway, and no complaints.
I hope Midways customer service gets back to the "good ol days".

plinkin
07-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Well I put an order in for 25gr. I have been trying more 25gr since my rifle seems to shoot it a bit better, so I ordered a "few" boxes.

plinkin
07-30-2013, 12:25 AM
Plinkin,
Thanks, but I think Poor Shot has gotten me a link into Cabelas on some ammo.
Also, FYI
You stated that you were notified for the ammo from Midway. That is good.
However, I have all three 17 wsm rounds that Midway has on their site on my wish list, and on the "to notify me" list, and I have not been notified.
I also had some .308 150 grain hornady spt on the same list, and was never notified for those either.
I called midway today, and they confirmed that my account has those 4 items in my wish list and to be notified list.
They could not however, explain why I was NOT notified on either the 2, that they got back in stock, then out of stock on.
Also
Midway also automatically changed my quantitiy on some Fiocchi 223 ammo last spring from 2 - 200 round ammo cans to 1 - 200 round can.
I even vented on the Savage Shooters site about that one, and how I felt the rules of the game were being changed as we played it.
Sour grapes maybe, but I will stand by what I said, If I did my job, and provided the quality of customer service that I have been getting the last 6 to 8 months, I would be fired from my job.
Now, having said that, up to that point, I had very good results with Midway, and no complaints.
I hope Midways customer service gets back to the "good ol days".

Monkey, YES I said I was notified this most recent time. When the 17WSM 20gr came available early in July NO ONE, not even me, was notified. I happen to get a message from a Facebook reply that Midway had some. They were out of stock within hours. I didn't get 25gr when it 1st came available from Midway because I was on vacation. I didn't get it this last time because everyone was notified and BAM their server became very congested. I did however manage to order some from Cabelas again. Maybe I will actually gt some this time. The 1st time I ordered from them I also ordered some reloading supplies. By the time the order was processed none of the 17WSM was shipped. If this happens again I will cancel the order.

If I receive the entire shipment I will basically have a lifetime supply of 17WSM for the "B.Mine" Chances are I will not shoot up all this ammo since I have other varmint rifles I like shooting or need to shoot more often. I do like carrying this one out in the field though.

Stockrex
07-30-2013, 08:46 AM
guys, only a few actually have this gun, if you have the gun, just put it in the safe for a few months and you will find the ammo on sale. Hoarders are buying the limited supply or people are buying to resell on GB.

plinkin
07-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Well that is a good idea and good principle BUT that leaves more for the "hoarders & resellers". I try to buy what I figure I am going to use. I don't buy calibers that I don't own. I will share with others but I won't take a loss.

n4ue
07-30-2013, 05:29 PM
I ordered 3 boxes of .17 WSM yesterday from Cabelas. That's all I'll need for a while. I don't hoard. Strangely, I got no confirmation, unlike I get immediately with Midway orders.
So, today I called and a nice lady told me that the warehouse was sent the order and I wouldn't be billed until the ammo shipped.
Shortly after that call, I checked my bank account and the $ had been deducted from my account.....
I also tried to find out if more was available and indeed they don't have that # listed. Almost like they never had any...
Gun won't be here 'till next week, anyway.
BTW, of the 'dealers' I have spoken with in the last 6 months concerning the B Mag, a LOT have given me the Homer Simpson 'blank look'. They had no clue what I was talking about........ha ha

Strange....

ron

Poor Shot
08-01-2013, 12:14 AM
10:16 PM got email from Midway.com. They have .17wsm 20gr. Vmax. Limit is 5 boxes per person. I didn't see the email until after midnight. Better hurry.

00:18 AM -- Crap, they are already sold out. Nevermind.

Keystone Kid
08-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Greetings, I'm new and will try to not make many mistakes. I came here on the trail of some 17 wsm ammunition. However, my need is somewhat different. I bought in to the hype about 17 wsm (and still do) so I asked my local gunsmith to try to find a reamer to re-chamber my extra New England 17 HMR ( that I dearly love) into 17wsm. He has a friend in the business of manufacturing reamers and he was successful in acquiring one. However, he would like a couple of rounds in his hot little hand before he starts the job------he already has several jobs lined up after mine---and I have totally failed so far in finding any-------So, my hope with this posting is that I can beg, borrow, steal, or pay an exhorbitant price for 2 or 3 rounds from a luckier, more resourceful member of this forum. I am on the Midway alert list but so far I am 'too slow'. I am willing to wait for supply to increase, but I sure would like to get this chamber job going. Thanks

plinkin
08-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Greetings, I'm new and will try to not make many mistakes. I came here on the trail of some 17 wsm ammunition. However, my need is somewhat different. I bought in to the hype about 17 wsm (and still do) so I asked my local gunsmith to try to find a reamer to re-chamber my extra New England 17 HMR ( that I dearly love) into 17wsm. He has a friend in the business of manufacturing reamers and he was successful in acquiring one. However, he would like a couple of rounds in his hot little hand before he starts the job------he already has several jobs lined up after mine---and I have totally failed so far in finding any-------So, my hope with this posting is that I can beg, borrow, steal, or pay an exorbitant price for 2 or 3 rounds from a luckier, more resourceful member of this forum. I am on the Midway alert list but so far I am 'too slow'. I am willing to wait for supply to increase, but I sure would like to get this chamber job going. Thanks

Yeah I don't think that is going to work Keystone Kid. The base on the WSM is larger and I am guessing the firing pin will not strike correctly.

Different subject. I saw this on Armslist. Have at it. http://www.armslist.com/posts/1961928/omaha-nebraska-ammo-for-sale--winchester-17-wsm-20-grn

Keystone Kid
08-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the clue-----I'm making a run at it------as for the rim-----you might be right-----we discussed that possibility but as simple as the firing mechanism is in the New England---old H&R topper type------worst case would be to enlarge the firing pin opening and modify a new pin-------or so we think------its an experiment----but I had to try------thanks again----B

Poor Shot
08-08-2013, 10:39 PM
20gr poly tipped .17wsm available at Cabelas as of 22:40 today.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1660059&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=064b568ebe5360c9c0d7d45e4d10dc11&destination=/

n4ue
08-09-2013, 01:51 AM
Already sold out.....drat!

ron

plinkin
08-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Already sold out.....drat!

ron

Keep trying Ron

Zinzrah
08-10-2013, 10:28 PM
I managed to walk into Walmart a few days ago and all by its lonesome self was a box of High Energy 25gr. Snagged them right up lol.

also give http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/17wsm/ a try.

-Zinzrah

n4ue
08-11-2013, 03:56 AM
Z, thanks for the gunbot link.... Nothing there at present.
I've heard about WalMart having .17 WSM several times now, Funny, nothing shows in their stock # listing. Every time I visit the local "Superstore" there's a customer *****in' about the lack of .22 LR ammo........
I heard one guy complain he was "down to only 50,000 rounds" !!

ron

Dennis
08-11-2013, 06:12 AM
I remember a previous thread that stated "one" factory produced all the 17HSM ammo in the USA. A person who is a member here and works for this factory verified this. Is this still the case? They make all the 17HSM ammo for everyone, just put their labels on the containers.

Zinzrah
08-11-2013, 10:44 AM
I didnt expect them to have it honestly. I even commented to my gf before I walked over there that there was a small chance in hell they would have it. Needless to say I returned with a rather large smile lol.

Zinzrah
08-11-2013, 06:40 PM
I am actually in a rural area too lol. But I am heading to the doc on tuesday and I will be checking for more ammo. Will let you know.