PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Any recommendations on what I can do with MarkII BRJ?

time
06-27-2013, 04:41 PM
This will be my first bolt action. I am very familar with AR15 platform, but literaly know nothing about bolts or MKII BRJ. I got traded an ISSC MK22 for this. Has a BLUED SPIRAL FLUTED 20" BULL BARREL, LAMINATE STOCK, ACCU-TRIGGER. IT HAS A VORTEX CROSSFIRE 4-12X SCOPE, AND WARNE QD RINGS

My questions are:

- Anything I should be aware of or be concerned with bolt action rifles? .17hmr?

- Please school me on the accu-trigger

- What kind of accuracy are you guys getting from this rifle? What about .17hmr's accuracy? Whats the max distance the .17hmr round while producing good groups (3moa)?

- Would chopping the barrel down negatively affect accuracy? How short can I go before accuracy goes down hill?

- How does it sound suppressed?

- Anything I can do to increase accrracy?

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x424/Datsthat/Savage%20MKII%20BRJ/tumblr_moxjek3MvZ1s8y27ho2_1280.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x424/Datsthat/Savage%20MKII%20BRJ/tumblr_moxjek3MvZ1s8y27ho1_1280.jpg

Thanks

bootsmcguire
06-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Be sure that the barrel is free-floated and I wouldn't attempt to cut down the barrel with the flutes on it. I can imagine nothing good coming from that. 1 MOA at 100yds should be fairly easy to do on a calm day. I think your biggest enemy is going to be the wind with those itty-bitty bullets.

Do a search here. There is a lot of information to soak up.

I would just go shoot it and see how she does for you . Those are some of the nicer 17's that Savage makes. It should be a real shooter.

FWIW, if your rifle is chambered in 17HMR then it should be a Model 93. If it is a Mark II then it should be chambered for 17HM2. The Mark II platform should only be available in 22LR or 17HM2 and the Model 93 Platform comes in 22WMR or 17HMR. Judging from you pictures, the magazine on that rifle appears to be the 22WMR/17HMR type of the Model 93.

time
06-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Be sure that the barrel is free-floated and I wouldn't attempt to cut down the barrel with the flutes on it. I can imagine nothing good coming from that. 1 MOA at 100yds should be fairly easy to do on a calm day. I think your biggest enemy is going to be the wind with those itty-bitty bullets.

Do a search here. There is a lot of information to soak up.

I would just go shoot it and see how she does for you . Those are some of the nicer 17's that Savage makes. It should be a real shooter.

FWIW, if your rifle is chambered in 17HMR then it should be a Model 93. If it is a Mark II then it should be chambered for 17HM2. The Mark II platform should only be available in 22LR or 17HM2 and the Model 93 Platform comes in 22WMR or 17HMR. Judging from you pictures, the magazine on that rifle appears to be the 22WMR/17HMR type of the Model 93.

Thank you for correcting me on the caliber.....that shows how much I know about this rifle. I am picking it up next tuesday:)

bootsmcguire
06-27-2013, 05:35 PM
I think you have the caliber correct, just off on the model number. Based of off the pics anyway.

If you like this rifle, just wait until you get your hands on a Centerfire model. All kinds of cool things you can make. ;)

Do some reading around here, you'll be amazed at what you'll pick up, and if you don't see it just ask. The folks around here are normally more than happy to share their knowledge.

JCalhoun
06-27-2013, 10:49 PM
My Mark II BRJ is a .22LR and shot good right of the box. I have been using the Federal 40gr AutoMatch in mine for rimfire silhoutte. CCI 36gr HP MiniMags shoot good too.

This is the most comfortable of all my rifles to shoot. I don't like how the magazine sticks out below the stock but I'm normally shooting without it so that is a mute point. Definitely the nicest looking rifle I own.

J.Baker
06-28-2013, 06:05 AM
What compels someone to go out and buy the nicest looking rimfire rifle Savage offers just to turn around and want to start hacking it up? You don't even have it yet - you've never even shot it to know what it's capable of and/or how you like it in stock trim.

- Don't touch the barrel
- Adjust the AccuTrigger down to 2.5-3lbs (or where ever it will adjust to safely) and then leave it alone.
- How does it sound suppressed? Probably wouldn't make a huge difference given this is a high velocity round and there's no such thing as a sub-sonic 17 HMR round.
- What can you do to improve accuracy? Easy - spend more time at the range honing your shooting skills by expelling ammunition rather than sitting at the computer trying to find ways to spend more money. :p

As far as accuracy goes, with a skilled shooter at the helm a good one will have no problem shooting sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day. Most will shoot 1/2 to 1" groups all day long even with a so-so shooter at the wheel. Being a 17cal bullet though the wind does affect them a little more - especially once you start shooting at 200 yards.

plinkin
07-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Thank you for correcting me on the caliber.....that shows how much I know about this rifle. I am picking it up next tuesday:)

I don't think there was ever a BRJ in Mach II / HM2. that would be awesome though.

time
07-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I did pick this up yesterday...drove 2hrs one way to do the trade:) I have not shot it yet and probaly wont get to for another couple of weeks b/c its off to get threaded and trigger/bolt polish.

plinkin
07-03-2013, 04:03 PM
So what model / caliber is it for sure?