PDA

View Full Version : Once youve done your homework

eddiesindian
06-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Curious: Once you,ve done your homework on your load developments and hit pay dirt with 1/4" patterns @ 100 (consistantly) with what ever caliber and what-ever your process for your reloading maybe, how many rounds will you make up ready to go?.....20?,,,50?.....100?.....
Will you load-em up using the exact same (match) process untill youve run out of either same lot# powder?..or run out of certain components that are key ingredients for that load?

fgw_in_fla
06-26-2013, 07:41 PM
I like to keep a box of 20 to 30 at the ready. Once the magic recipe has been discovered, I go to the next weight up or down in that caliber. (ie - I have accurate recipes for .243 in 55gr of 3 different types - 70gr of 2 types - 75gr & 90gr)
I try to find the most accurate load for each bullet type & weight I have on hand.

Also, I find I need to "adjust" the powder charge after so many rounds. It depends on the caliber

Keeps me busy & off the streets.

stangfish
06-26-2013, 08:08 PM
For fclass its 70-80 each run.
For hunting 40 each run
For plinking till you run out of components.

Maztech89
06-26-2013, 08:12 PM
I load a box of 50 with whatever the final load is and usually have another 50 brass prepped ready to go for after a days shooting. I rotate my brass, except for Lapua simply because its too expensive for me to keep large quantities around. I personally won't load more than 50, because I find I need to change some of my loads for the season (temp) like my 25-06 gets backed off .5 grain during summer or else primers are flowing pretty bad. I've made the mistake before of realizing I have 100 rounds of ammo loaded that I'd rather not use, and no brass to roll fresh ones with. That's my experience, YMMV.

eddiesindian
06-26-2013, 10:10 PM
interesting.....
I.....at times have to remind myself that I reload to shoot, not the other way around. With components being what they are?...its easy to remind myself lately

eddiesindian
06-26-2013, 10:15 PM
For fclass its 70-80 each run.
For hunting 40 each run
For plinking till you run out of components.

I do the same for plinking...

twarren
06-27-2013, 09:21 AM
If you are in prairie dog country 100's

stomp442
06-27-2013, 09:58 AM
I load up 50 once I have found the magic recepie and try to have 50 additional pieces of brass prepped and ready to go as well. For hunting rifles I will load my normal 50 and then at least 2 boxes (40) rounds and put them in factory ammo boxes so that they are easier to grab and throw in a pack.

yobuck
06-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Curious: Once you,ve done your homework on your load developments and hit pay dirt with 1/4" patterns @ 100 (consistantly) with what ever caliber and what-ever your process for your reloading maybe, how many rounds will you make up ready to go?.....20?,,,50?.....100?.....
Will you load-em up using the exact same (match) process untill youve run out of either same lot# powder?..or run out of certain components that are key ingredients for that load?

i doubt i own any guns that shoot that well. anyway for sure somebody else wound have to shoot them.
mine seem to shoot just barly good enough to get the job done.
my guns are for hunting, when i find a combination im happy with i rarly change.
i changed powder in my 7x300 wby. once in about 40 years.
those guns dont get shot in hot weather. i'll usually have 4 or 500 223s and 22x250ai loaded just in case.
those and a 17 rem and 22mags are the plinking guns.
i like having a 50 round box of rounds for my go to guns before the season starts.

eddiesindian
06-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Ill like to do what some of you guys do and that is to only load up 50 once Ive found the final load....I will......as some of you guys prep brass for the next batch, but it never fails that I get free time and just itchen to load. Latley Ive been tinkering making steel targets and such to keep me bizzy and stay away from my reloading bench...olololo

fgw_in_fla
06-27-2013, 09:39 PM
I keep several hundred of each caliber on hand already sized & cleaned - ready to load up. I even keep lots of brass for calibers I'm not shooting but have barrels for when I do.

That's how you take your reloading OCD to the max....

A few months ago I had the misfortune of aggravating an old back injury AND quitting the company I worked for all in the same two week period. I went around the reloading room & cleaned every piece of brass I could find due to total boredom. Now, I impatiently wait for the range to open so I can make some more dirty brass to clean & size & load....
Its a never ending battle.

Nandy
06-27-2013, 09:43 PM
I have all the stuff ready to load and load as needed. Hunting loads about 10 to 20 on hand but I like shooting so I shoot a few every week even if just for paper. I seen where my load changes with weather too so it gets tweaked depending on weather.

quickkillaught6
06-27-2013, 10:31 PM
1,000 per rifle at least for prairie dog monsters

eddiesindian
06-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I keep several hundred of each caliber on hand already sized & cleaned - ready to load up. I even keep lots of brass for calibers I'm not shooting but have barrels for when I do.

That's how you take your reloading OCD to the max....

A few months ago I had the misfortune of aggravating an old back injury AND quitting the company I worked for all in the same two week period. I went around the reloading room & cleaned every piece of brass I could find due to total boredom. Now, I impatiently wait for the range to open so I can make some more dirty brass to clean & size & load....
Its a never ending battle.

boy you hit it right in the head on that one. I had g-bladder surgery and had to stay off of work for 3 weeks, bout drove me crazy. I cleaned, cut,process,d loaded every dam piece of brass I could find till I ran out of components. I must of loaded about 4K worth of pistol via progressive press, dont know how many 308/30-30/30-06/223 I loaded as well, but when i got back to work, I found that I reloaded myself "DRY!"...luckely there was components all over the place at that time, so there I go.
It is indeed a never ending addiction...........................
Hope your back heals up just good enuff for you to get out there and make some-more dirty brass lolololololo

davemuzz
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Right now I have about 500 pcs of 45acp that are piled up in my LNL progressive brass feeder. (I keep 'em covered until I go out 'n mess with it. I use to just load 'em up, when I had all Starline brass, but I keep my Starline brass (quality stuff Starline) and my "other" brass separate. So, my "other" brass I simply size and decap first....then I run each piece through a 45acp gauge to make sure each piece just slides in and out. When I get one that has that BULGE in it, I just toss it.

I know they have those bulge fixers out there....but I figure if it's at the bulge point...it can't have that much life left in it. And I hate to do a complete load on a bad brass, and then do the gauge test, only to have to pull the bullet, dump the powder, and ruin the primer.

thermaler
06-28-2013, 05:22 PM
interesting.....
I.....at times have to remind myself that i reload to shoot, not the other way around. With components being what they are?...its easy to remind myself lately lol +1

DanSavage
06-29-2013, 09:30 AM
By the time I hit the glory hole, and go to stock up on my magic components there's nothing left, so I get what I can and start over again with different components.

yobuck
06-29-2013, 10:22 AM
By the time I hit the glory hole, and go to stock up on my magic components there's nothing left, so I get what I can and start over again with different components.

for some types of cartridges there is no starting over. reason being there is a very short list
of componnents that work well in certain ones. that has pretty much always been the case.
40 years ago the only suitable powders for large cases like the 30x378 were the surplus ww2 powders.
powder like h570 for example was the best for that cartridge. the only way to get it was to horse trade
with somebody who had it. as a rule you wouldnt build a gun unless you had the powder.
when the oppurtunity to get some came along you didnt hold off buying it. you got it while the oppurtunity
existed. this current situation should be a warning signal for us. unless things change in this country im affraid
this could be just the beginning of the shortages. remember one thing, the liberal mindset knows only one direction.
they will accept small victories as well as large ones.

EOD350
06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Once I find a load like you mentioned, I load all of my brass in that caliber and shoot till it's gone. Then I start over. If it is for hunting I load 100, very sledom less than 200 in any of my L/R rigs. I do this in order to keep up with #'s of firings and annealing.

eddiesindian
06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Once I find a load like you mentioned, I load all of my brass in that caliber and shoot till it's gone. Then I start over. If it is for hunting I load 100, very sledom less than 200 in any of my L/R rigs. I do this in order to keep up with #'s of firings and annealing.

I see your point. It is a good way to keep things in order.