PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Model 25 trouble gone,

Gene-C
06-26-2013, 06:29 PM
I bought a Savage Model 25 laminate stock in 204 ruger. Great shooting gun BUT!!!. The magazines are plastic and the shells would pop up in front and then jam up when running the bolt forward. Called Savage service and they replaced the Mag.
Same thing with the new Mag. When putting four rounds in the mag the spring pressure is so strong the it pops the top shell up and out of the front of the mag. If only two rounds were loaded it worked fine due to the lesser spring pressure.

Sold the Model 25 today at a great loss and bought the Model 10 Predator Max 1 W/ Acu Stock and Acu trig. It has a
METAL MAG! . This is the rifle that I originally wanted but I could not find one so I settled for the 25. Big mistake.

I talked to at least eight retail dealers before I found one that could order it for me. Should be here in a week or so.

I hope this post will help pass the word about the poorly designed mags in the model 25.

Gene-C

plinkin
06-28-2013, 10:58 AM
I bought a Savage Model 25 laminate stock in 204 ruger. Great shooting gun BUT!!!. The magazines are plastic and the shells would pop up in front and then jam up when running the bolt forward. Called Savage service and they replaced the Mag.
Same thing with the new Mag. When putting four rounds in the mag the spring pressure is so strong the it pops the top shell up and out of the front of the mag. If only two rounds were loaded it worked fine due to the lesser spring pressure.

Sold the Model 25 today at a great loss and bought the Model 10 Predator Max 1 W/ Acu Stock and Acu trig. It has a
METAL MAG! . This is the rifle that I originally wanted but I could not find one so I settled for the 25. Big mistake.

I talked to at least eight retail dealers before I found one that could order it for me. Should be here in a week or so.

I hope this post will help pass the word about the poorly designed mags in the model 25.

Gene-C

Congrats Gene, I am glad that worked out for you. Not everyone has that issue with their M25. I do with my 204 & 17H but until there is a real fix I can live with it. I understand it can be a PITA though.

Gene-C
06-28-2013, 08:59 PM
The gun dealer recieved my Model 10 today and I went in and fondeled it for awhile. I live in Illinois so I have a 24 hr wait before I can take it home. Big Brother you know.
The rifle looked great. The Max 1 camo is very nice. Fluted barrel, Acu stock and trigger. It shoud be a shooter.

Gene-C

plinkin
06-28-2013, 09:58 PM
You should be pretty happy.

langenc
06-30-2013, 06:50 PM
The gun dealer recieved my Model 10 today and I went in and fondeled it for awhile. I live in Illinois so I have a 24 hr wait before I can take it home. Big Brother you know.
The rifle looked great. The Max 1 camo is very nice. Fluted barrel, Acu stock and trigger. It shoud be a shooter.

Gene-C

You have to keep everyone safe. Remember the children.. How many killed every year??

plinkin
06-30-2013, 06:56 PM
You have to keep everyone safe. Remember the children.. How many killed every year??

The number of children depends on which Liberal you ask or which one you believe.

thomae
07-01-2013, 09:29 AM
:focus:
Back to topic please.

plinkin
07-01-2013, 10:07 AM
:focus:
Back to topic please.

Wouldn't want to offend anyone's liberal sensibilities LOL

thomae
07-01-2013, 01:16 PM
You just had to have the last word, didn't you. You simply couldn't leave well enough alone.

I am a moderator. It is part of my responsibility to help to keep threads on topic. It has nothing to do with my political sensibilities, liberal, conservative or otherwise (and about which you know nothing). To presume that my actions are politically based and then to state that in public calls into question my professionalism and integrity and is extremely churlish.

The last several posts had nothing to do with the OP's topic which was that his Model 25 troubles were gone because he sold it and purchased a different rifle. Because of this I asked future posters to get back to the original thread subject.

plinkin
07-01-2013, 01:32 PM
You just had to have the last word, didn't you. You simply couldn't leave well enough alone.

I am a moderator. It is part of my responsibility to help to keep threads on topic. It has nothing to do with my political sensibilities, liberal, conservative or otherwise (and about which you know nothing). To presume that my actions are politically based and then to state that in public calls into question my professionalism and integrity and is extremely churlish.

The last several posts had nothing to do with the OP's topic which was that his Model 25 troubles were gone because he sold it and purchased a different rifle. Because of this I asked future posters to get back to the original thread subject.

Don't assume I mean you Thomae, I didn't. Had I meant you I would have said so. I didn't mean you. Actually I didn't single out anyone. I never questioned your professionalism or integrity and I do not feel it was ever in question. Neither did I post that in a surly mean spirited, rude manner (churish - for those who didn't know the meaning). I apologize that you took it that way OR felt it was directed at you.

Although this will probably be my last word, I am not trying to make it my last word. It is meant to be an apology at least the best one I can muster.

thomae
07-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Thank you for your gracious apology.
Your apology is fully accepted.

plinkin
07-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Thank you for your gracious apology.
Your apology is fully accepted.

You are most welcome. As Thomae said, back to topic :cool:

Willy
07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
I got my Max 1 last week (in 243), haven't put a scope on it yet but I really like what I see so far. Did you get yours in 204?

Willy
07-02-2013, 06:34 PM
What I've done with all my Model 25s is when I put the gun away I load up the magazine before I lock them up in the hopes it will weaken the spring a bit over time as the springs do seem quite strong.

plinkin
07-02-2013, 11:46 PM
What I've done with all my Model 25s is when I put the gun away I load up the magazine before I lock them up in the hopes it will weaken the spring a bit over time as the springs do seem quite strong.
It seems to be a healthy spring. I wonder if the 22H/17H mag has the same spring as the 222, 223, 204? I should try this. I haven't shot my 204 this year. I need to get it out. I plan to add a EGW base to it and re-zero the scope. I noticed when I was shooting it that I had the cross hairs slightly canted. It was the 1st rifle I used my "level level level" set on. I recently upgraded to the pro level system. I am so anal about crosshair alignment. I HATE HATE HATE picking up a used gun and looking through the scope and seeing it offcenter. Makes me feel like the pevios owner just slammed a scope on it to trade it or just didn't give a rat's bum.

Slightly off subject, never trade a rifle with a scope. No matter how new the scope, how cheap or high quality, you will get DIRT for the scope. Take your lumps on the shooting iron, dump the scope on eBay. Here is an example: not bragging.

I bought 2 rifles to resell. Paid $600 for them with tax. 1 had a semi nice Bushnell 4x32, Weaver see through rings and the rifle. The other had a Leupold 2-7x33 VX1, see through rings and the rifle.

I advertised rifle 1 for $250 OBO + shipping no scope. Listed the available scopes I had that I would sell with it and how much. Received an offer, we haggled, he wanted a 3-9 scope. I sold with the combo & rings from my Savage 93 22mag. The scope was unused. I mounted & bore sighted it, sold it for $250 shipped. I had zero in the scope and UPS cost me $12. I grossed $100. Then I sold the rings for $15 shipped. Still have the Bushnell.

Other rifle I sold the rings for $15 shipped, the rifle sold last week for $455 shipped, UPS cost me $20, and the Leupold just sold for $185. I grossed almost $300 in total and I still have the Bushnell to sell. I might have got $500 for the rifle with the Leupold.

Plinkin's horse trading tip of the week :-)

OK, back on track.

Gene-C
07-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Willy: I did get to the range with the new model 10. It shot very good. Put about 40 rounds thru it and got a 1 1/4 in group at 100 yrds. I have it shooting a little high at 100 yards and want it dead on at 200 yrds. Our range only goes out to 100 yrds.

I think you will be very happy with your 243

Gene-C

Willy
07-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Gene. I'm hoping my Max 1 does at least no more than 3/4" groupings for three shots at 100 yd...well I can hope, can't I?
BTW, all my Savages seem to have very strong springs in the magazine clips so I load them up before storing them.

Gene-C
07-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Willy I do believe that the 204 will shoot a tighter group but my hold could be better. Maybe with a lead sled. Of the five shots that I took to get the 1 1/4 in group. Three of them were touching.
Good luck with your 243. Let us know how it shoots.

Gene-C