PDA

View Full Version : Watching paint dry-Krylon Camo(Fusion) staying soft

Bark
02-02-2010, 12:53 AM
As a few of you know,I painted my HTG stocked 110 7 days ago with Krylon Camo in less than ideal conditions.It's been raining here for awhile and I managed to get 4 coats of olive on the stock between showers, sprayed outside and then brought back inside and hung over the heater to dry.I checked how it was doing after a few hours and it felt as if it was drying fine,a little tacky but looked amazingly even and all seemed great.Put the action back in the next day and proceded to fondle,admire,and generally feel all was well.It's now been a week and the paint still feels soft and almost rubbery.Had planned on clearing it with some Krylon satin(couldn't locate matte) but ran out of time.Now the question-will the Krylon EVER get hard to the touch or will it remain fairly soft resulting from painting it under such damp conditions?Have those of you who have used the Krylon Camo all applied clear as the topcoat?Is it even a good idea to spray clear now with the paint still feeling a bit tacky?Lastly,do you think hitting it with a hair dryer might help?All replys much appreciated. Old Grumpy Bark

zedsdead
02-02-2010, 01:06 AM
I recently painted my first stock and had the same issue you are having. Although I used different paint, Rustoleum textured, there's probably not much difference. I live in Oregon so damp winter weather is here to stay until about mid May (if we're lucky). I ended up leaving the stock hanging on the bailing wire from the garage ceiling, getting a cheap $10 fan/heater, setting it on low and let it gently blow on the stock for a couple days. Worked great. Hope this helps.

Jason

Blue Avenger
02-02-2010, 07:30 AM
how long dose the can say to cure? don't think that one is long. some paints are 8 days now in normal weather.

pdog06
02-02-2010, 08:14 AM
I would give it a few days to fully cure before applying any clear, especially if it still feels tacky.

I used the same paint as you on a couple stocks, and cleared all of them as my last couple coats and they are holding up just fine. I didnt use Fusion clear, I just used a cheapo brand of matte clear. I put on 2 coats and let them dry, but it will still have a slight sheen to it, so after everything is dry hold the can farther away and just fan a light mist onto the stock, so it doesnt give a complete coat. This will dull the clear even further and give it a flat finish.

hotbrass
02-03-2010, 12:12 AM
I did that same thing and the paint was soft after about three days. So I hung it in an empty coat closet with a 100w light bulb for two weeks and it was hard as a rock.

The biggest problem is trying to leave it alone for that long. :-\

Bark
02-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Yep,really appreciate all the replys and feel alot better about it now.My main concern was that it would NEVER set-up and would require pulling it all back off.Spent hours on prep and masking the bedding,and the looks of the stock just blew me away coming out of a rattle can.Looks almost dipped,more like a coating than paint.As long as I know it will cure eventually I'm a happy camper.I'm at 4400 ft. and when I was spraying the was snow about about half a mile up the mtn,just couldn't wait any longer.As Hotlead said,it's really hard to keep my hands off it.Again,thanks guys. Old Grumpy Impatient Bark

desertdog
02-03-2010, 10:40 PM
take it inside the house. keep it at room temp were the humidity is not as much.

pdog06
02-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Ummmmmm......wheres the pics???

Bark
02-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Ok pdog,just dug out the digi camera and it appears it has died of neglict.Will get it running asap.Being as this is the stocks section,I did pull up a picture of http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/barks2much/DSC00796.jpgmy #1 BB gun.....dead quiet and prints 1's and 2's at 50.Just for reference,Zebrawood STINKS when you work it but sure is purdy. OGB

dsculley
02-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Good looking stock, I like the zebra wood. I would consider a thumb hole stock if my son (a lefty) didn't shoot my rifles too.

amtdfw
02-11-2010, 06:46 AM
I have painted Aircraft in cold damp areas and that is the same type of paint.
Two tips that could help the next time.

1) Pre heat the stock to where it is warm to the touch before painting.

2) Make up a drying booth, wire coat hanger, plastic sheet, form it into a tube shape and hang the stock inside. Hair dryer and the hose from the vacuum cleaner, set the dryer on low and let the hose blow warm air in the bottom tube. Duct tape will be needed.

WARNING: Use this only in the garage or outside, any area that is well ventilated. Cycle on 5 minutes and off 10 minutes.

Uncle Jack
02-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Years ago, when I was doing wood stocks with tung oil, I would hang the stock to dry by the water heater for a day or so between coats.

uj