PDA

View Full Version : Replacement stock questions

Yoshi
06-26-2013, 10:46 AM
I am in the process of modifying my Model 10 PC, of which, I am replacing the stock. As I've only shot factory Savages, I am not sure about the considerations when purchasing a new stock. In addition, I want to replace the DBM system it has now. So, here are my quetions:
-I have no experience with Badger or AICS DBM's, which do you prefer?
-What DBM components, other than the mag, do I need to buy?
-How forgiving is the barrel contour with these stocks? As in, if I buy one that's inletted for a heavy varmint, will a M24/M40 look stupid in it?
-Do I need to replace the trigger guard? (My PC has a trigger-guard release)
-Pillars?

Thanks,
Yoshi

CharlieNC
06-26-2013, 03:31 PM
I purchased a Choate tactical stock, inleted, with DBM as a package deal from CDI; the only other thing you need is the AI mag (which they sell too). Great folks to deal with! For me this is a nice stock for shooting prone (that's why I have two of them, in different calibers), and it includes a bipod rail as well on the very rigid forend. You will probably also need to purchase a Choate cheek-piece to get the proper cheek weld height. The forend is not the best if you are shooting bench rest, as it is a bit narrow and not flat. The main question is what kind of shooting will you do with this?

brasse
06-27-2013, 12:56 PM
The bottom detachable magazines come in two models, plastic and steel.

You can buy either type here in the parts section from time to time. Or from Savage much more expensive.
I recently purchased a plastic bottom surround and plastic bottom magazine for $80.

The steel bottom surround and magazine weighs 10 ounces more, but the feel if installing the magazine is 100% better than the plastic. I would think the steel versions should go for $100-125 used.

People who are putting a blind magazine replacement stock might be persuaded to sell their DBMs.

The AICS DBM's are pure quality.

stangfish
06-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Good options for "over the counter" Used or new.
Research these and can often be found used on the web in the classified of many shooting forums.
The Choate Tactical
H&S Precision Either model
Stockade

There are other high end options like the chasis systems and McMillan. Do some homework and narrow down your choices.

For DBM'S there are some relatively easy setups that use some stock components like the dark eagle. Then you can go all out for that Tacticool look. Form follows function What do you want to do? what do you really need? For me I found that internet hype made me believe I needed this but in reality I needed that. Good Luck