PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: Not a Cheap lesson

69Cougar
05-19-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm new here and wish now I had found this site before today. I just bid on and picked up a model 64 with scope for just over $100 and now from reading the forum on it, it seems I just picked up a not to well manufactured 22. I looked every where trying to find out the bad. Oh well I should have went with my first thought and picked the 10/22 or the Marlin. Live and learn I guess. Sorry just had to vent. This is a great site and quiet informational thanks.

Thank you. I missed the high bid. going with another choice

JCalhoun
05-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't know of anyone who has a Model 64. Can you let us know how it works out?

LG
05-23-2009, 09:13 PM
What's wrong with the model 64?

I don't have any experience with it. But I do know someone who has one. Once out of curiosity I asked the guy about the model 64. His comment was the trigger is heavy but other than that the rifle works fine, almost never jams.

shelbyfan
05-24-2009, 05:34 AM
It's a $120 semi auto rifle so it can have some issues. One problem I have heard of is the pin in the bolt slipping out and causing issues, easy fix but very stressful when you spend money on a new rifle. Most reports are favorable but costs have to be cut to build them as cheap as they do. Very comparable to the Mossberg Plinkster. Accurate and fairly reliable, but not nearly as reliable as the Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22. Both witch have been around nearly a half century for a reason.

But Savage has never seemed to be able to produce a really reliable semi auto. But the bolts are dang nice.

69Cougar
05-25-2009, 11:56 PM
I've been researching 22's for several months now, the main problem I see is jamming. I've googled the 64 and went from there and the 64 doesn't have a good reputation at all. I was on the line about buying the 64 until I read some of the posts on this site. Usually the more sold means a better weapon needless to say there haven't been that many of the model 64 sold.

BIGDAVE54
10-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I bought a brand new Savage model 64 F at WalMart a little over a month ago. I have had absolutely NO problems with it whatsoever. I have owned several rimfires in the past and this model 64 has been the best one I have ever owned. I bought a new case ,3 new mags from the factory, and a new CENTER POINT 4x16x40 scope for it.I have had several people say they would have bought a Ruger or Marlin or I was throwing money away on the scope I bought,but hey....I am the one that paid for it and so fr am more than happy with both items. The trigger on it breaks clean at bout 3-4 pounds and it holds zero on the scope. I have fired about 250 rounds of ammo of various kinds through it. I have had a couple of FTF on some old Remington bulk ammo that sat in the back of DICKS Sporting Goods warehouse for about 5 years. I believe that is the ammo though because I have seen a few dented cases and rough marks on the bullets.I bought a second Savage model 93R17 this past week. I so far am sold on Savage.

JCalhoun
10-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Good to hear. I know the Remington bulk .22's have a bad reputation. My S&W pistol hates to cycle them.

How about some pics of the rifle and targets?