PDA

View Full Version : Burris Signature Rings & Recoil.... dual dove tail or Weaver

Turbo_760
06-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Building a new hunting rifle in 35 Whelen. I have ordered the barrel and am now thinking about Scope Rings & Bases

I was planning to use the Burris signature rings ( once with plastic inserts) as I have a set on the 22-250 and like them. Do they have sufficient gripping power for moderate recoil rifle such at 35 Whelen?

Bases

Had originally thought to go with dual dove tails as they provide a clean look on a gun. However, lots of people seem to recommend weaver bases.

I was planning to go with a 2 piece base as that give more room for load\ unloading of the blind magazine.

Recommendations?

stangfish
06-22-2013, 10:59 PM
For stout recoil I think the rings you mentioned will hold up. If you use other rings lap them if they are horizontal split. The more contact the better the grip. I like warne QD.s, and you dont need to lap them. I hear good things about tally as well.

Iron sighter has a weaver 1 piece rail that is cut out in the middle and will give you the access to the ammo that you want. The spacing is not the same as a pictinny so you cant move the scope to another rifle that has a picatinny rail without moving a ring...but you cant do that with 2 piece weavers either. It is $15 at midway. Don't let the low price fool you. Bed it in and you are rock solid. These are my ever so humble opinions. There are as many options as you can think of and some are astronomical in price.
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/129/129373.jpg

thomae
06-23-2013, 08:17 AM
I have a one piece rail (probably EGW, but I don't remember) and Burris Signature Zee rings on my 35 Whelen.
The scope never budges.
I needed the one piece rail to get the scope (Nikon 3-9x40 Pro Staff) in position to provide the requisite eye relief. For that reason, Two piece bases would not have worked for me, nor would have the Ironsighter one piece base suggested by the stangfish.
The Ironsighter is a nice base, and very inexpensive, but does not have the full length adjustability that a straight rail without a cutout has.

efm77
06-23-2013, 09:36 AM
The Signature Zee (Weaver style) hold up to heavy recoil well in my experience. Just make sure you slide them to the front of the slot all the way where the cross bolt is touching the front of the slot. This will keep the rings from sliding under recoil. I have had the scopes slide in the inserts before even though I cleaned them both with alcohol prior to assembling them. Put a dab of powdered resin in the inserts and it grips like a champ.

thomae
06-23-2013, 12:23 PM
... Put a dab of powdered resin in the inserts and it grips like a champ.Resin is used for gluing things. I believe you might mean rosin. I have never had to use any, but if it worked for you, all the better.

Good call about pushing the mounts all the way forward so the cross bolts touch the front of the slot. That should be standard practice with any weaver or picatinny (or any other type of slot/crossbolt) mounted rings.

stangfish
06-23-2013, 01:19 PM
The Ironsighter is a nice base, and very inexpensive, but does not have the full length adjustability that a straight rail without a cutout has.

...and this is another limitation. But for accessability to your magazine you may choose the compromise. When mounting on rifles that do not have a dbm I would choose to accept that. The two piece ore often lower as well, so if you want low profile, accessability to you magwell, you may very well choose to accept the limitations.

thomae
06-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Yup, plusses and minuses to every choice...you have to decide what makes the most sense to you. We'll all recommend stuff that we like, but you need to choose for yourself. No one will deride your choices when your groups at the range are small.

Weaver also makes some one piece rail bases that are lower than the EGW rails and are more inexpensive to boot. But they also do limit access to the mag well for fat fingers.

geargrinder
06-23-2013, 04:55 PM
In my opinion the Burris Signatures in Dual Dovetail bases is about the toughest setup you can get.

I use them with my Nightforce on my sporter 338RUM. This light, hard kicking rifle holds that heavy scope just fine.

Just make sure you get all the oil off the rings and inserts. For some reason, Burris sends them very well oiled.

The other problem you may find with two piece bases is the spacing between the rings. Many scopes don't have enough tube length to accomodate Savage's bridge spacing. Look for a reversible front mount.

jpdown
06-23-2013, 05:23 PM
I also like two piece bases for the reasons you have metioned. If you want 2 piece bases, go with the Burris Xtreme Steel Tactical base. They will give you the most mounting flexibility of any tow piece base set with Burris Signature Zee rings or Weaver style rings on a Savage Action. Especially if you plan to go with a compact, short tube scope.

Turbo_760
06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all the suggestion. It sounds like the burris signature zee rings will hold up under recoil. Someone mentioned the Warne QD's and I have been looking at them as well. Since my barrel isn't going to be be here for a while I have plenty of time to think.

I plan to use a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x as I have on on my 7mm mag and have been very happy with it. The buckmaster is a larger scope so I may not need the flexibility of weaver and may just go with the dual dovetail.

big honkin jeep
06-24-2013, 10:21 PM
I agree that dual dovetails are probably the toughest setup out there. I also like the clean look, and once installed there is no wiggle room for anything to get knocked off. Those puppies lock up tight. Kind of embarrassing but quite a few years ago I dropped my rifle 28" from a tree when the pull up rope came loose from the sling. I was worried but hunted with it anyway and did kill a deer that day at about 40 yards. When I went to the range and checked my rifle it was still dead on. Made a big believer out of me in Leupold products (scope was a Vari X 2) and the dual dovetail mounting system.
I don't know why Leupold doesn't offer them anymore. After buying a standard set of bases I called Leupold customer service expressing my desire to have a set of dual dovetail bases for my Savage. After I suggested how they might help me and they obligingly sent me an additional front base for free which made a set for my new round receiver rifle :)
Kudos to them.

efm77
06-25-2013, 06:29 AM
"Resin is used for gluing things. I believe you might mean rosin. I have never had to use any, but if it worked for you, all the better."

Yeah rosin. I tend to flip flop that spelling a lot. Yeah it works great. I use it on every scope I mount anymore.