PDA

View Full Version : First Savage, 11 300 wsm couple Q's

floatinghat
06-21-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm pretty excited I just picked up my first Savage. It is a nib model 11 fcns 300 wsm for $400, I really wanted a model 14 but for the price and rainy PNW I "settled" on the 11. The look of the 14 in SS is awesome but I wouldn't want to put that stock through a week of wet and nasty.

Anyway some basic questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.

Optics, will be a 3-10x50 Nitrex TR1. Sitting in my safe I have some Burris signature zee high rings. My concern is the high rings will be too high?

I could use some help on a mount/base I am thinking one piece, will listen to any recommendations.

I have a couple of boxes of ammo coming to see what shoots best, fed fusion 165, barnes 165, nosler 180. I'll be keeping my brass as I hope start loading fairly soon. This will be for deer this year out to 350 yds, next year maybe elk (but I love muzzy elk).

Any recommendations, barrel break in? After reading about some incredible accuracy I hope I can get there on the somewhat cheap.

Anyway this great forum and I am look ahead to learning a lot.

One thing that made me go Savage vs another 700 is the is the ability to change barrel. I don't know if I'll go there but, I might look to go 6.5 ish something next year. It's my understanding the only changes will be barrel and bolt head, (+wrench, HS guage)? So slightly cheaper that a second gun. Anyone gone 6.5-284 or is 260 Rem a better option in the SA?

Thanks

FW Conch
06-22-2013, 10:58 AM
First off Buddy, "You will go there" ! :) You've been "bit" ! You've entered the "Dark Zone" ! But it's great fun. The 6.5-284 can be loaded for a short action, but you have to keep the COL short. Or shoot it Single Shot. The 6.5-284 is also known to be a barrel burner. I like my 260Rem, and it is plenty of gun out to 350yds and well beyond. Good Luck-Good Shooting :) .... Jim

jonbearman
06-22-2013, 11:27 AM
If you are hunting alot with it,I would suggest a 2 piece mount system for finger clearance to dislodge a cartridge that may get jammed or not ejected corectly for whatever reason.Your optic sounds fine.Break in is a much discussed topic and what I do is shoot one clean one for 10 shots and then shoot 3 five shot groups cleaning after each group using something like butch's or any copper solvent.Then I would suggest shooting and cleaning after each 20 rounds if you can a couple times.Tell us your cleaning method and then we can tell you if you are missing something.

derbs
06-22-2013, 05:33 PM
When you change from the 300 WSM to a non-magnum chambering you will need to replace the bolt head and use the shorter std. length firing pin. The magnum bolt head is 9/16 " vs. 1/2 " long in the locking lug dimension for the std. bolt head.

floatinghat
06-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the follow ups.

Yes, FEC this stuff can get addicting and out of control. Just a good thing I drew muzzy cow elk this fall.

JBM, --Thanks, with big mitts maybe I am better off going 2 pc mounts.

Derbs, guessing a second bolt would just make life easier?

derbs
06-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Yes, that would work also