PDA

View Full Version : F T/R Stock Questions

Burdy
06-21-2013, 02:52 PM
I recently received my rifle that I ordered from the Savage custom shop and I have a few questions. I chose the F T/R stock because I liked the flat for end and also the replaceable comb pieces in a laminate style stock. I have a question about a bipod attachment though. I see that I received what looks to be a swivel attachment in the box that slides along the rail in the fore end...is this used for the bipod? Do all bipods have a way to attach to my sliding rail? Must I use a bipod that slides upon recoil? I am just really confused about how exactly that whole deal works, having never owned a rifle with that style fore end.
Second question...what mounts/rings are suggested? Every rifle I have owned I have tried to get once piece style mounts like the Game Reaper/Dead Nutz rings and mounts. I am torn here on going with a picatinny style set up or not? My brain tells me no way those can be as consistent as a one piece base/ring combo...but I sure see a lot of them on precision rifles. What are the suggestions on styles and brands? I will be mounting the Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 BTR-Mil.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

stangfish
06-21-2013, 03:29 PM
I have not sen the t-slot swivel adaptor you have but I can tell you that you want one that can be secured in the slot by some other means than the bipod attachment preasure. The adapter need to be locked in solid or it will move on you. That is if your shooting a 308 or something with similar or more recoil.

If you bed your mounts two piece are not a problem. If you are serious about accuracy at range follow the proven protocol of scope mounting regardless of which mount and rings you use.

You-Two
06-22-2013, 12:47 AM
I would use this Harris bipod adapter if you plan to use a bipod that has a Harris style attachment system. Other systems would require a different adapter. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/293237/harris-6-bipod-adapter-stud-for-european-rails-3-8-width-black

You-Two
06-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Second, for the scope mounts it will depend on your action type. If you have a standard Model 10/11/12 with an open top that you can used just about any base designed for a round top short action (with or without the recoil lug). A one piece base/ring combo will work, but I would look for one with a 20 MOA cant to help with long range elevation. For a separate base/ring combo, I like the Ken Farrell products. Be advised you need a special base for the closed top target actions (without a recoil lug). Depending on how much you want to spend though.

JCalhoun
06-24-2013, 11:21 PM
The FTR stock uses an Anschutz style accessory rail. The sling swivel thingy is used for bipods and sling mounts. It slides to where you want it on the rail and then you tighten it down with your fingers like a clamp.

Burdy
06-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I hope to have everything mounted up by mid next week (sans bipod). I will shoot some pics over.

Broncman
07-11-2013, 10:48 AM
I use a Duplin bipod on my FTR rig and LOVE it over the clumsy harris.

A Talley 10 MOA base for about $60 and Burris rings with inserts for another 20 MOA puts you dead center for most 1000 yard 308 loads.

Burdy
07-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the help. Still a bit confused on the bipod situation but I will figure it out once I dig in. Just received my mounts/rings, level-level-level, torque wrench/bits and feeler guages. I've never taken such care in mounting before, I'm hoping I get lucky and don't have to bed the bases. I did go with the 20 MOA tactical 1 pc mounts from DNZ.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

stangfish
07-14-2013, 05:17 PM
About the Bopod. May have enjoyed the third generation sinclair. It a has a good resale value.