PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Barrel Swap

Jet
06-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Hey All

Looking for a little advice here. I recently bought a 30BR Model 12 action rifle that isn't what it was advertised as (on-line purchase and I'm working with the seller to correct this). It was advertised as a 1:18 twist which is what I wanted and it is a 1:11.25 twist. I will rebarrel the 30BR with the slower twist but I may want to use the 1:11.25 barrel on a Model 10 FCP that I have after I have the chamber recut to 308.

Questions 1: The Model 12 action does not have the barrel nut. Can this barrel be used on the Model 10? Do they have the same thread pattern?

Question 2: Are the recoil lugs the same size? I looked on Savages part finder and the two rifles have a different part # for the recoil lug but that could be because one is stainless and the other is parkerized. The Model 12 doner action came of a BVSS-S in
22-250.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jet

Westcliffe01
06-20-2013, 09:45 PM
The model 12 certainly has a barrel nut. Now if it is a custom barrel, it is possible that the smith got rid of the nut and cut a shoulder in the barrel Remington style. People who switch barrels a lot (especially for competition where cost is not such a big limitation) often prefer shoulders since re-installing the barrel consists of screwing it in and torquing it.

Unless the action is the large shank design, then model 10 and 12 barrels should be interchangeable. Do a google on large shank vs short shank savage barrels. A 308 or 243 or 22-250 or 270 Win based rifle should be a small shank. if it has a Magnum boltface, possibly it is a large shank.

You are better off not buying the Savage nut or recoil lug. Buy the improved ones sold by Northland Shooters Supply. He is a listed advertiser on this forum. Call the listed phone number, he is not good about responding to email. The recoil lug is precision ground and the nut is heat treated prior to final machining. You will not be sorry you used them.