PDA

View Full Version : Thoughst on a 7mm-08AI?

mattri
06-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Have a PTA with a CBI 30" 7mm-08 barrel in a Stockade Prairie Dog/Tactical that is shooting pretty well, really like the combo.

Use it for informal targets/steel out to 600 mostly, will be taking it out west to shoot varmints and targets farther out. Would love to get to where I can enter some local comps. Nothing super serious just a lot of fun to shoot.

7mm-08 should have pretty decent barrel life, not quite as good as the 308 but better than the 260 theoretically. But obviously at some point the throat is going to go, at which point I'll unscrew it and have it re-chambered.

Considering a 7mm-08AI- half to see what it can do and half just for the fun of trying something new. Velocities will be up a tad, barrel will still be long enough to make that interesting, brass life should be great, get to play with something kind of different- whats not to love?

Anyone have any experience with this round that would swear by/against it?

FW Conch
06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
It has been said that the only way to improve on a 308 is to make it a 7mm-08. We can expect to get 6,000 rounds from a 260Rem barrel if it is not overheated, so a 7mm-08 should do at least as well. :)

mattri
06-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Well that certainly gives me time to plan!

bootsmcguire
06-20-2013, 10:13 PM
The biggest gain with going to the Ackley Chamber is going to be the added brass life due to the steeper angle on the shoulder. It should just about eliminate trimming. I have a 243AI that routinely gives me 25+ firings on Winchester brass.

I don't know that you will gain much in the speed department as case capacity is not greatly increased, but every little bit helps.

mattri
06-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Yeah with the barrel length being what it is, even after setting back I wouldn't expect to see a noticeable difference in velocity.